Antique American Eagle Design Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chonga

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this bottle? I am curious as to what kind of bottle it might be (e.g. liquor, medicine, etc.)? The bottle stands roughly 8 inches tall, is made of a blueish glass, has a mild seam on the side, and a cork top (no cap screw lines). The eagle design is present on both sides and appears to be of an eagle with a patriotic shield on the breast, holding branches in the talons and a banner of some sort (no writing) in its beak. It was found at my family's farm in Wisconsin in an old grain silo site that was used as a dump. I am assuming that it is post-1900 due to the seam, but any help in identifying what it might be used for would be appreciated. Thanks!

Qo40914.jpg

Attachments

• Qo40914.jpg
    Qo40914.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 89

Pontiled

Reaction score
Hi! The flask you have is a Double Eagle flask, which dates from about 1865 to the 1870's. It's a lot older than you had guessed! Was there a building/home/silo, etc. on the property that dates back to that period? If so, get a bottle probe, shovel, etc. and get digging! Let us know what you find.

By the way, your Double Eagle flask is one of the more common varieties, but, if in mint condition, they sell for $50 - $60 on the East coast. Sometimes they have the glassworks embossing in the oval panel.

Nice find!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum chonga ! Great Double Eagle Historical Flask ! I would be probing tomorrow if I were you !!!!! Good luck ! Brian

chonga

Reaction score
Hey Pontiled and Brian, thanks for the great info!!! The farm has been in the family since 1854, straight from the time that my descendents carved it out of the wilderness! There was originally an old cabin homesite, and later around 1910, the current house, barn, etc. were built. Perhaps the bottle is one of my old ancestor's trash, but no matter what it is a great find and I really apreciate the info about it. Then next time I make it back up thatr way (I'm in SC), I will have to get into the old cistern by the house and see what is hidden deep in there. Once again, thanks for the info, it will make my brother (his bottle, lucky) very happy to hear!

kastoo

Reaction score
Nice find. People hope to find those, common or not. Even better that you knew enough to keep it and research it. Yup dig the cistern and any outhouse sites older than 1920. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter