Antique Kickapoo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I saw this pior to post but i dont know enough about that type bottle. if it is fantasy or fake i love they tore the corner of label

surfaceone

Reaction score
warnersreprobase.jpg
From.

"NOTE: These bottles were accurately reproduced by the Crownford China Co. during the 1970s (possibly a bit earlier and/or later) and sold with reproductions of the original label. However, they exhibit machine-made characteristics and distinctive base embossing. Click on the following images to view pictures of one of these reproductions which are quite well done: view of the embossing; view of the label; side view; view of the base showing the telltale embossing CROWNFORD / (C in a circle) / CHINA CO. INC." Thanks to Bill Lindsey.

Hey Eric,

Digger Odell has "Crownford" out of Italy, with a New York connection:

"The "Crownford China Company" is an old Staffordshire, England company. I do not think they made glass. I suspect an import company is using the name for their reproductions, but I do not know, maybe a reader can help. Digger"

I recently bought a pink milk glass powder dish. It has a 'Crownford China, Made in America" label. I realize this is not a bottle but it may give you some insight on whether Crownford China was involved in the glass business. I am curious about this myself because I thought Crownford China (US) only made pottery. I have owned several pottery pieces with their mark "Crownford China, Made in USA") .. Louis

Louis, after a bit more research I have found only a few clues. The original English Crownford China Company is not connected with these glass reproduction items. The impostor Crownford China Company is an Italian firm with a New York connection. They do not still seem to be in business. They were responsible for a number of reproduction items including: WARNER'S SAFE KIDNEY LIVER CURE bottles which they produced with labels and in fantastic colors; cookie jars such as one jar has raised clear lettering on two sides; one side says IF MOMMY SAYS NO, ASK GRANDMA (HEART SYMBOL HERE)and the other side says "COOKIES 5 POUNDS; Another jar is embossed P.N. SMITH FAMILY GROCER DRY MEASURE 7 lb.; They also made THATCHER milk bottles (MAN MILKING A COW) beginning about 1964 in amber green, dark blue and clear complete with a wire bale and glass lid. I am sure that this list is by no means complete. They must have had help in this country to determine the styles and kinds of items to reproduce. Digger" From 2001.

Nk27798.jpg
"Speakin' of those and other associated repos by Crownford China Co...Here is another fake...Kickapoo Indian Sagwa Cough Cure...." From whiskeyman thread.

THATCHERA-4.jpg
From.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Crownford, made in China???

I think they may have been made in Italy. The word 'china' refers to china as in ceramics rather than China the country.
Also not to be confused with the real Crownford China company who made dishes and other items.

I would deem them a reproduction. Its not a fake as it wasnt meant to deceive anyone.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I would deem them a reproduction. Its not a fake as it wasnt meant to deceive anyone.
One more thought.
I'm really not that picky about terminology but I'd call it pure fantasy. I don't think there was an authentic KICKAPOO SAGWA/KICKAPOO INDIAN MEDICINE CO. If there was a real 100 year old bottle I'd be interested in the lesson. I'm not finding it in my books anyway.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I think its a repro of this bottle...

3522D710AEB342DAB5F2ED59F127272C.jpg

Attachments

• 3522D710AEB342DAB5F2ED59F127272C.jpg
    3522D710AEB342DAB5F2ED59F127272C.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 167

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
THey also did a decent job reproducing the label. Its similar to this one but I think they copied a later label which I dodnt have a photo of.

513B939B2CBC48BF93083161D8E7F72A.jpg

Attachments

• 513B939B2CBC48BF93083161D8E7F72A.jpg
    513B939B2CBC48BF93083161D8E7F72A.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 160

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks Matt, it looks like they used the liver and kidney without the embossing. Unless it was embossed under the label?[8|][8|]
I guess fantasy is out though to a certain degree. Repro without intent to deceive. That sound good.[:)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause