Antique SEEMAN BROS Oil Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Sperm oil was produced from sperm whales, and was also used for sewing machines.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Yup, first thing that came to mind was how fitting it was that the Seeman bros were purveyors of sperm oil.

And that oil certainly looks exactly like old Sperm oil. Both the sperm oil and spermaceti wax was extracted from the liquid contained in large cavities in the heads of Sperm and one or 2 other species of whales. Chemically, the oil is a wax and not fat, like the less expensive whale oil from blubber.

In the "refining" of the liquid, the spermaceti had to be crystallized/solidified in cold winter weather and separated from the sperm oil by placing the congealed "head matter" in sacks which were compressed. The resulting oil which drained out was likely what is in that bottle. It was the superior quality of sperm oil available back then because it did not congeal in cold weather, and thus was suitable for delicate instruments or machines. In warmer weather the blocks of impure spermaceti would be pressed a few more times and exude more oil, but this was inferior sperm oil, as it would congeal in cold weather. The purified spermaceti was used for candles, cosmetics, etc.

I sell manufactured spermaceti which is why I know this. I suggest reading up on the whaling industry and the processing of sperm oil and whatnot. It is pretty darn interesting.

Asterx

Reaction score
Nice Plumbata, thanks for the history! Neat story [:)]

Asterx

Reaction score
What does the pencil writing over the decorative motif say?

antiqueglass

Reaction score
The pencil writing is very faint... the only letters that I could make out were... J H B (in script)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles