Any chemists here? Crazy idea?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ombudsman

Reaction score
It seems to me that the absolutely ideal (functionally, if not practically) tumbling media would be lead pellets. The lead is soft enough that the grit would actually get stuck into the pellets. (In gem cutting, sometimes lead-topped flat laps are used - the lap is charged by putting grit on it and embedding it by rubbing with a smooth agate or the like.) The weight of the lead would facilitate fast cutting (or sanding.) I don't know that polish would actually embed in the lead, but the weight of the lead would facilitate polishing.

The problem is, of course, the toxicity of the lead and the contaminated water. The used-up lead pellets would be easy enough to dispose of at a recycling center (or metal dealer,) but I wonder how one would deal with the water? Is there some safe, cheap chemical that would precipitate the lead out of the contaminated water?

I suppose a person could make Koolaid with the Pb-laced water and donate jugs of it to an orphanage or homeless shelter... Just kidding. Just kidding. [:)]

Ideas? (Please don't just say I'm crazy. People with diplomas on their walls have already told me that! [sm=lol.gif] )

GuntherHess

Reaction score
It may be too heavy for larger thin walled bottles.
I would also worry it would leave a grey film.
Cant say I have tried it though.

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

It may be too heavy for larger thin walled bottles.
I would also worry it would leave a grey film.
Cant say I have tried it though.

You may have something there. I didn't think of either of those possibilities.

bottlediger

Reaction score
Please do not mess with lead, its way to toxic to be messing with and dumping down the drain. And now matter how careful you are you will still be exposing yourself and family to dangerously high amounts of lead.

And yes it would leave a nasty grey film, uncoated lead scuba weights do a nasty number on dive gear and the env.

NOT WORTH IT, go buy some copper, glass beads, or gold pellets

Digger ry

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

gold pellets!!
Eureka!!

Of course I thought of that. But then I'd have to go to the hassle of chopping up all my bullion. That could take minutes.[sm=lol.gif]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward