Any info on this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hoochman88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was hoping one of you folks might have some info on this bottle. I know it's a milk glass bottle with an octopus draped over a silver dollar. There's a small date on it that appears to be 1901. I'm wondering, though, if it is a reproduction because of a seam running around the edge. I'm also curious as to how much it's worth if it is an original. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Vance

Ay75185.gif

Attachments

• Ay75185.gif
    Ay75185.gif
    222.8 KB · Views: 118

hoochman88

Reaction score
Here is the reverse side of the bottle. Thanks again.

Lj21501.gif

Attachments

• Lj21501.gif
    Lj21501.gif
    219.7 KB · Views: 80

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi hoochman88 and Welcome to Antique-Bottles.Net -
I've seen many things written on your bottle recently. Bottles and Extra Vol.15 No. 2 (Spring 2004) on page 14, Cecil Munsey has written an interesting article on this bottle. It is called " The 2003 California recall Election; And its relationship to the Octopus Bottle". Here is a little of what was written:

The bottle has the shape of a large American dollar. An eight armed octopus has secured a strangle hold on the coin. On the obverse, the head of Liberty is shown with her mouth open as though screaming with pain. The reverse shows the American eagle under the date 1901.....

The capacity of the bottle is four onces. It is made of milk glass and was originally decorated with gold and red, the coin being gold and the octopus red. Today the bottles are almost always found cleaned of their paint which makes them a most attractive solid white. The metal screw-caps have a cork lining which fits snugly on the ground off threaded neck of the bottle...

I've seen these in auction catalogs (at least one) selling upwards of about $1000+, but please don't quote me on this 'till I find the one I'm thinking of that I read over the Thanksgiving holidays. If I remember correctly it had it's top and most of the paint.

I've also seen this bottle in other bottle magazines and publications. I will need to spend some time looking for them though. I'd say do a Google search and see what turns up. I haven't tried it yet, I just responded as soon as I read this. Good luck.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot - NICE FIND!

We'd love to know how you found this (nudge nudge)? Digging? Yard sale? Attic? [:D]

hoochman88

Reaction score
Thanks, Flaschenjager. Actually, my step-son found it. He is a backhoe operator and found digging out for a runway at SeaTac airport. We don't have the lid [:(] but the bottle is pristine except for the lack of paint.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4