Any info on Players soda bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

emmett

Reaction score
This was excavated in the 70s in Atlanta. I'm a student working on dating bottles from the collection it's in and making an online archive of them.
All I can really find is that it was bottled by Red Rock, you can see it on the mint ones listed online (2nd picture from ebay). But I can't find any ads, or a date range of production, location etc. The one picture of a full bottle shows it as an orange colored drink, but I'd also like to confirm that it was orange flavored (Red rock now makes a peach flavored drink that's orange colored so who knows).
There is this one website but it has no sources and reverse searching the images finds nothing. http://www.tazewell-orange.com/redrockappa.html
Would really appreciate if anyone has any knowledge on this brand. Of course, I'll credit you on the archive website.

Attachments

• c6373808dae005e2cad884c494787988.jpg
    c6373808dae005e2cad884c494787988.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 78
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 77

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Do you have access to the bottle yourself? It likely has a date code on the base if you can post a picture of that. Otherwise, the phrase "Over 62 years of Red Rock quality" is very specific, and makes me think that the bottle dates from 1947, if the founding date of 1885 on Wikipedia is correct. I'm pretty surprised that someone dug that up in the 1970s, and that it made it into an archive. That's like someone today digging up trash from the 1990s and archiving it.

Another thread on here discussing Red Rock mentions that Players was a line of various flavours rather than a specific drink. I don't have a primary source for that but it would make sense considering that the bottle doesn't state the flavour and that in those days it was very common for a brand of soda to come in multiple flavours. https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/a-quick-red-rock-cola-question.336910/

As for where it was bottled, it was a national brand so impossible to know for certain without it being listed on the bottle. That said, probably Atlanta if it was found in Atlanta. This very old website listing a bunch of bottles includes an Atlanta Players bottle so presumably there was a bottling location there https://www.angelfire.com/pop2/collectorscorner/collection_page5.html

You may not be able to find any ads because Red Rock may not have considered it to be a brand worth advertising. It might not have even been a genuine brand in the way that Red Rock itself was, it could have been used for any other generic flavours the local bottling franchise sold. In those days a local franchise wouldn't usually just bottle the franchise product, they'd also bottle a bunch of other stuff using their own bottles. Red Rock may have decided to standardize the look of those other bottles.

emmett

Reaction score
Do you have access to the bottle yourself? It likely has a date code on the base if you can post a picture of that. Otherwise, the phrase "Over 62 years of Red Rock quality" is very specific, and makes me think that the bottle dates from 1947, if the founding date of 1885 on Wikipedia is correct. I'm pretty surprised that someone dug that up in the 1970s, and that it made it into an archive. That's like someone today digging up trash from the 1990s and archiving it.

Another thread on here discussing Red Rock mentions that Players was a line of various flavours rather than a specific drink. I don't have a primary source for that but it would make sense considering that the bottle doesn't state the flavour and that in those days it was very common for a brand of soda to come in multiple flavours. https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/a-quick-red-rock-cola-question.336910/

As for where it was bottled, it was a national brand so impossible to know for certain without it being listed on the bottle. That said, probably Atlanta if it was found in Atlanta. This very old website listing a bunch of bottles includes an Atlanta Players bottle so presumably there was a bottling location there https://www.angelfire.com/pop2/collectorscorner/collection_page5.html

You may not be able to find any ads because Red Rock may not have considered it to be a brand worth advertising. It might not have even been a genuine brand in the way that Red Rock itself was, it could have been used for any other generic flavours the local bottling franchise sold. In those days a local franchise wouldn't usually just bottle the franchise product, they'd also bottle a bunch of other stuff using their own bottles. Red Rock may have decided to standardize the look of those other bottles.
Thanks so much! That makes a lot more sense. Unfortunately I never took a picture of the bottom and now it's stored in a box in a room with all the other artifacts but next time I'm in the lab (next week) I'll find it again.
And yeah-- there was some relatively recent things found in the original excavations. I know there was a perfume bottle dated to the early 70s, and the project was in the late 70s. Archeologists love random trash, as it's their main source of information, so they kept absolutely everything, including all the tiny glass and ceramic fragments, so this is a pretty interesting find compared to that. And even more interesting now!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

City bottled was probably printed on the cap.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen