Any San Francisco, CA Diggers?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

strataman4

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just began my hobby as a bottle collector. I wanted to see if there is anyone out there who lives in the San Francisco area who would be interested in having a digging friend and to also be a mentor in this new hobby of mine. I am honest, friendly, and respectable and am just looking for someone to go digging with to find some cool bottles and am not out there to steal bottle sites or out to make a profit as a dealer. Just out looking for friends to share my hobby with and have some fun and create some interesting tales. I am in my late 20's and a hard working digger and ready to prove my worth and pull my weight. I am interested in soda bottles, mineral bottles, pharmacy bottles, local SF or CA bottles, blob tops, and things older than the 1930's for the most part. Well if interested send me a message or email me at strataman4@aol.com if you don't want to post here directly. Thanks and hope to find a digging buddy soon. Let's go get em!!!

diginit

Reaction score
Hey Strataman, have you found any of the 1880's maps online yet? some are very detailed. I've downloaded a few. Do a search. Happy diggin' from San Jose.

David E

Reaction score
Check this out from the Western Collector (Nature's Tiffany) April 1969
The name Benicia brings to mind a former Capital site, now it stands for bottles 100 year old bottles but beautiful iridescent bottles etched with every color of the rainbow,
since 1968 the site of the old Benica steamboat landing. Ca. 1848. Something in the mud turned these bottle to beautiful. If you want to go there (if it is still there) go to the rivers end at first St. in Benicia turn left past the depot, cross the tracks and then park.
Plant your shovel anywhere up river from old side-wheel ferry City of Richmond. Take plenty of help and lots of energy. Need to get in the mud here and at right tide and need to get out of that mud before the tide comes in (Some got stuck)
Story by Richard Hansen,

Dave

strataman4

Reaction score
Thanks You Guys,

I will have to check out some old maps and also go digging in Benicia one of these weekends. Looks like I am gonna get really dirty very soon. But isn't that part of the fun :) I will let you guys know what I find.

Thanks Again,

Strataman

kastoo

Reaction score
Were those maps free? Where do I go to download a free 1800s map? Thanks

diginit

Reaction score
Hi Kastoo, just do a search on history of your area.such as " historical maps of ------" or "early history of------" some sites require a registration or to download a viewer. It's worth it. Try a couple of engines you'll get different results. Pics of old settlements are very helpful.
I've got a pic of the town I've been exploring. It's a mining town abandened in 1910. about 5 square miles of hills now. Found 2 mines so far. Blown up at the entrance.Tracks sticking into the air about 15' at a 45 degree angle. Still got alot of area to cover. But I know where the buildings were. Break a leg!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973