CA Swimming and Diving 2023

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JerryN

Reaction score
My finds in the river: Sani-Clor 1920's mfg by Southern Bottling, Vernon CA. Florida Water c1890 Coffin Redington Co San Francisco (the first Drug company in CA founded 1849). I could not find the bottle maker and think the mark might be from Mexico. The large bottle is Owens Bottle company O in a box. It seems to be a chemical bottle with a wire attached around the neck. Common saki-bin but i can't resist and end up giving them away. Blob top slick, Tiger Whiskey, and some wine bottles with applied tops. A good weekend in the river.
IMG-7535.jpg
IMG-7533.jpg

JerryN

Reaction score
Here are the bottoms of the blob top and the Florida Water bottles. The blob top has this strange star pattern. The Florida Water has a 1 0 and a logo/bottler mark. I thought at first it was upside down and Owens Illinois, but the O I mark for Owens Illinois has a hyphen and appeared much too late for this bottle. I could not find the logo. It seems to be a stylized F but maybe something different. Thoughts on these two would be appreciated.

IMG-7538-1.jpg

IMG-7536.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I love the San Francisco Florida water, I think that's the first western one of those I remember seeing. Definitely a much better find than the standard Murray & Lanman. Shame there's no embossing on the blob top too, that would have been a killer find if it did, it looks like a pretty early one. The wheel design on the base is very distinctive, seems like it should be possible to link it to a specific bottler if that was meant as an identification mark.

JerryN

Reaction score
I love the San Francisco Florida water, I think that's the first western one of those I remember seeing. Definitely a much better find than the standard Murray & Lanman. Shame there's no embossing on the blob top too, that would have been a killer find if it did, it looks like a pretty early one. The wheel design on the base is very distinctive, seems like it should be possible to link it to a specific bottler if that was meant as an identification mark.
Thanks, you were right about the wheel pattern. San Francisco and Pacific Glass Works (1875 - 1900). I found a similar bottle for sale for $200 listing the date as 1880, but I don't know how they knew that.

Interesting side note: They build a new factory in November 1900 next to a stadium. On Thanksgiving Day they were stoking the furnace and melting the sand for opening the factory. The temps were estimated at 500 degrees. Around 800 people jumped the fence to sit on the corrugated metal roof to watch the Big Game (Cal/Stanford) as they did not have tickets. The roof collapsed and disaster ensued with many deaths and burns.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2