found large bottle dump. Delaware

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dawie

Reaction score
Hello, I am new on the site and just popped in to ask if we have any diggers in Delaware.
I have a very old bottle dump on property at the edge of a swampy marsh that I consider cleaning up.
As many of the bottle just on surface / imbedded are very old my friend suggested I reach out to the local bottle community see if anyone in interested to dig them up and preserve them..

Please feel free to reach out to me if you're interested.

Cheers
Dawie

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I think we've got a couple members on here from that area. Might be a good idea to post a picture of the bottles to get a sense of the age of the site. That'll be the biggest question for whether anyone wants to make the trip out there. If the bottles are over 100 years old I'm sure you'll get lots of interest.

Dawie

Reaction score
good idea will collect some photos in the coming days

according to my friend who is in his 80s and lived in the area his entire life he suggests it's very old bottle dump. i had a brief look at some of them that had stamped Delaware.

photos will come in a day or so

it's a very interesting historic area and I look forward to leaning a bit more from this

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Hello, I am new on the site and just popped in to ask if we have any diggers in Delaware.
I have a very old bottle dump on property at the edge of a swampy marsh that I consider cleaning up.
As many of the bottle just on surface / imbedded are very old my friend suggested I reach out to the local bottle community see if anyone in interested to dig them up and preserve them..

Cheers
Dawie
Thank you Dawie, for your interest in local history and your desire to preserve what may very well be some exciting representations of period glass and other artifacts. I have no doubt you'll find some folks who'll be more than happy to investigate the area.

Reactions: Len

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I'll second what Dan said above; a big part of bottle digging and collecting is an appreciation of the local history that can be associated with these more-or-less unchanged relics of the past. Thanks for offering the ability for someone passionate about it to help document some of that for your local area.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a ways away, so I can't help with this one, but I would also check the r/BottleDigging subreddit on Reddit; it may be easier to find someone there as it's decently active. I myself frequent it, and had the opportunity to do something similar to what you're describing for a fellow on one of the local islands here. Hoping to plan something out for next spring to take it on.

Dawie

Reaction score
ok a few photos that may help figure out the possible age of this site
Note i collected only the bottle on surface or sticking out easy to pull up

Attachments

• bottle 04.jpg
    bottle 04.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 119
  • bottle 03.jpg
    bottle 03.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 116
  • bottle 02.jpg
    bottle 02.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 109
  • bottle 05.jpg
    bottle 05.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 105
  • bottle 13.jpg
    bottle 13.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 112
  • bottle 14.jpg
    bottle 14.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 111
  • bottle 15.jpg
    bottle 15.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 114
  • bottle 08.jpg
    bottle 08.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 110
  • bottle 12.jpg
    bottle 12.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 121

scubabottler

Reaction score

Cheers
Dawie
That sounds like an excellent opportunity, I live about 3 hours North in NW NJ.

Dawie

Reaction score
a few more photos

Attachments

• bottle a.jpg
    bottle a.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 57
  • bottle 16.jpg
    bottle 16.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 57
  • bottle 09.jpg
    bottle 09.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 63
  • bottle 10.jpg
    bottle 10.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 54
  • bottle 11.jpg
    bottle 11.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 54
  • bottle b.jpg
    bottle b.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 57
  • bottle 18.jpg
    bottle 18.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Bottle c.jpg
    Bottle c.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 56

hemihampton

Reaction score
To me looks like common 1950's stuff. to new for most bottle diggers. Leon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately with bottles of that era it's only the milks and sodas that most collectors will be interested in, by the 1950s people were throwing away huge numbers of bottles and modern trash collection was still in its infancy outside of cities, so there will be a dump with hundreds of bottles like these behind almost every rural house that was occupied at the time. The best finds in dumps of that era are usually non-bottle items like enamel advertising signs, or the occasional bottle which had already been sitting around for decades before being thrown out.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen