Anybody have any experience digging Marin/San Rafael

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
I have been gone for awhile due to school being so intense, but when I was walking my dog I came across a tree that has fallen over and under it I found a old medicine bottle titled "Days Pharmacy San Rafael CAL" it has a magnifying glass on it also, I looked for more bottles but couldn't find any. Also does anybody know anything about this pharmacy? To get to the point, I want to dig some bottles but I am so lost on where to dig[&o]. So does anybody have any tips or locations in digging in Marin/San Rafael area? Thanks to all on this great forum and Merry Christmas!!-Ben Picture of Days Pharmacy bottle

Attachments

• 5bff3f0a32d04690bb14454f4c255c51.jpg
    5bff3f0a32d04690bb14454f4c255c51.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 59

sunrunner

Reaction score
First off it is not a magnifying glass , its a oriental fan , and if you are in up there you may what to get up to the win county were there are some old wineries . or try the ravens in the hills . I've found were people wood dup right off the roads down in to them.

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
Woops thought it was a magnifying glass looking at something. I live on a hill and there is a dump right next to my house down the hill where I have found 1950-1970's bottles and beer cans but nothing older than that. That is a good idea going up to the old winery's maybe could find some nice wine bottles. Thanks,-Ben

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I think I would spend more time searching the area where you found this one.

botlguy

Reaction score
The Calif. Pharmacy embossed bottle book lists it as Common so it is probably valued in the $25 range due only because of the picture of the fan. I could be wrong though. Jim

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey Ben: There are no firm dates unless it happens to have a patent date on the base / bottom. From the picture it looks to be from early 1900. Research into the company history will pin it down for you.The book is out of print, almost unavailable, high in demand and pricey when found. I got mine as a gift (THANK YOU Dwayne), would have cost me in excess of $100 to buy it. I use it primarily for just this type of case.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello It could be anywhere from 1880 to 1930, depends on the neck seams up the side of the neck, if it has no seams near the top, it may be 1880-1910. If there are seams and mold lines at and around the top, it would be later than that, up to the 1930s. Please show us a pic of the neck and top area, and we can pin it down a lot closer.........Andy

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
Wow that book is in high demand I guess. Also here are pictures Andy of two angles of the neck. I dont see an seems on the neck it looks pretty flat.Thanks,-Ben

Attachments

• ff080622b81c403c9559377f19e6ea3c.jpg
    ff080622b81c403c9559377f19e6ea3c.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 71e8df287e5b4e2fa93929ea5dfe1792.jpg
    71e8df287e5b4e2fa93929ea5dfe1792.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 61

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello Ben. it looks to have a hand tooled lip finish, and the top style is real close to what SFPG (San Francisco & Pacific Glass Works) was doing around 1900 give or take 5 years. does the bottom have anything on it. If it says WT it may be Whiteall Tatum, which made zillions of pharmacy bottles for just about everybody, but would still be in this time frame. I would be very careful about poking about those wineries up in the Napa Valley, they don't look favorably on tresspassers, but you may be able to get permissions, I just don't think many. You would be better off going along the northern mud flats along hwy 65 I think between Vallejo and the Napa turnoff. there were countless duck blinds and hunting spots there during the 1860s and up until the early 1920s. Other people have found old bottles there. Another good area is along the bayshore from Benicia north as far as you can go. low tide is best, I have gotten a few good bottles that way in the past. I also used to dig the Benecia mud flats back in the day, you can still find bottles, but it is slim pickins now for the most part, always take someone with you if you can, its safer that way......Andy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology