Anybody have any experience digging Marin/San Rafael

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
MichaelFla said:
I think I would spend more time searching the area where you found this one.
I agree. The fallen tree's roots probably pulled this one up and there may be more goodies in that area, like a trash pile or even a dump. Dang nice bottle for walking the dog.

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
The bottles on the bottom says WT. I will also make sure to get permission if I go up into those wineries. Thanks for those locations Andy, I am just a little confused on highway 65, do you mean highway 29? Because highway 65 is in Lincoln Ca. Also I attached a map of benecia and color coded sections, can you tell me what area the Benecia bayshore/muflats you were talking about are. Sandchip I will go back there again but I looked around and dug for a couple of hours and nothing.Thanks and Merry Christmas!!-Ben

Attachments

• 38bb2554620447fb9b57bcd73bc02f44.jpg
    38bb2554620447fb9b57bcd73bc02f44.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 61

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
You might want to check a spot right in San Rafael. About 12 years ago I worked on grading the property that is now, I believe, a Lexus? dealership. It's on the frontage road (Francisco Blvd???) along the NB side of 101 next door to that restaurant with the sailboat mounted up in the air. The dirt that came from the back of the property had a fair amount of 1890-1910 glass in it. I wanted to go look along the water that's at the very back of the property, but never have. Might be worth looking at low tide, but it's probably all private property along there.

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
KleinKaliber, I have actually just been back near there a few days ago. I emailed a guy on craigslist who was listing a ton of bottles he dug in that area in the 80's before the car dealerships were there. He said he heard it was a dump in the late 1800's. Now since the buildings are covering all the ground back till the creek I went back behind the Infiniti dealership which is next door to the Lexus dealership and there is a mud "beach" next to the creek with 1000's of bottles in it. I did have to leave pretty soon, and the bottles I grabbed were from the 1920's to the 1960's I think I dug in the wrong area. I will post a thread about it probably tomorrow. I attached a picture of the area I think you mean, does it look right to you?Thanks Alot!!!-Ben

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
Ben, the area on the map you have outlined in blue is directly behind where we graded for the dealerships parking lot. The back of the parking lot is where we were getting into the glass, so I believe you would have a chance of finding something in the area you outlined. Hopefully the Craigslist guy didn't clean it out already. It's a big area, he couldn't have got everything. Did you get any good sodas or milks in the other area? Just up the creek where it runs into 101 on the east bank of the creek I was told was the old Coca-Cola plant. Years ago, at low tide the creek bed was covered with Coke bottles, but I think that has been pretty well picked over, as it was visible from the freeway.

BenTheDigger

Reaction score
Thanks for responding!So you suggest digging into the beginning of the dirt parking lot, do you remember around how many feet deep the bottles were coming out? In the other area I didn't have much time so I just grabbed a few bottles and left. There were 1000's but they weren't to old. oldest being 1920's whiskey and the sodas were 1940's - 1950's. I made a post here (https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Quick-Creek-Dig-m668528.aspx#668532). For the coke I included a picture of the building I think your talking about does it look correct and did you do any digging here? Thanks again!-Ben

Attachments

• af4c5ac296de477faca62c8a4a1ad09f.jpg
    af4c5ac296de477faca62c8a4a1ad09f.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 63

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
That's it. That modern building you circled is built on what I was told was the old Coke plant site. On the other property, I would poke around closer to the creek first. I don't know how pleased the dealership would be if they saw you dig near their lot.

Lordbud

Reaction score
This style of lip puts this variant closer to 1910. This particular druggist is very common. In my opinion $10.00 is closer to what you might have to pay for it, or sell it for. I've seen numerous examples of Day's at shows and on ebay. Still a nice find. I've checked numerous root balls of downed trees in likely areas such as old picnic grounds, but have never found a single bottle within the roots.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers