Anybody into Sad Irons

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again, I really have always liked old cast iron. I started when I was about 8 years old. I still have my first cast iron toy which is a Hubley green race car with a removable man. I have pieces of all kinds of old workmanship and early casting quality. I have my Fathers cast iron tractor and thrashing machine and lots of pieces of iron things like the trivets and irons and cow bells. My wife and children want me to start selling them off. It is just hard for a pack-rat to give them up. Great items, guys. It always pleases me to realize that so many other people like the same things I do. RED Matthews

RedGinger

Reaction score
Hey Gunth, we have grates like that. I'll have to ask Joe where he got them. Just don't step on one the wrong way. It really hurts your toes! I found a door handle like yours recently in a dump. Is it ceramic? I'd like to install mine in a door at home. Why are they called sad irons?

woody

Reaction score
The sad in sad iron (or sadiron) is an old word for solid, and in some contexts this name suggests something bigger and heavier than a flat iron.

Stardust

Reaction score
I've got a basket of door knobs like Matt's ( are they worth anything?), have big old brackets (really neat), irons lets some of them go, [:eek:] going to do some art with some of the neat things. Got some funky ideas in my head. Time to let the artist free again...

why were they called sad [8|] ? I'd be sad if I had to Iron...[:D]
just saw woody answered my question.....[;)]

tigue710

Reaction score
true, but the brass, or copper will look very nice! The owner of a cabinet shop I used to work at bought out the stock of a very old hardware store in town so we had 100's of boxes of every type and size of brass, steel or copper screw you could imagine. I still go there when I need to replace screws on old fixtures... he treats me good... except that he said he would call me in for furniture repairs because I did the best work in the shop, that never happened! lol even his work is slow right now, and most of his costumers were film producers and what not in New York or Western Ct... I built a vanity that was sold for 12,000 bucks... two weeks of work, at twelve dollars an hour... ! I was not so happy with that job...

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey passthebottle and all
This is a cool post .I love all the old cast iron and metal pieces in old houses .I have an iron or 2 around here some were but there in bad shape . Matt those are some cool door locks and grates and trivet . Hers a few cast pieces .My wife has collected a few trivets and small iron skillets .Heres some pics from my old home to.
bill

E12DBF1CD1124CA2917C273B45D2D037.jpg

Attachments

• E12DBF1CD1124CA2917C273B45D2D037.jpg
    E12DBF1CD1124CA2917C273B45D2D037.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 63

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I dug a few out of a privy's.Most of the time we find them with out handles.I can't find the pix in my folders.There are a couple of pix on my web page.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen