Anybody know about cannonballs?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
I think that's what this is but I don't know. Any clues appreciated.

Sean

FFF5186BF40E491EB8C1B62315315FF2.jpg

Attachments

• FFF5186BF40E491EB8C1B62315315FF2.jpg
    FFF5186BF40E491EB8C1B62315315FF2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 91

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I have never seen a solid shot cannonball with a square hole in it. Looks like it may be something else but I don't know what. They would make good boat anchors though.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
If it's a 32-pounder, its holes must have been done later. but I believe it's a corner piece for gates or walls. It does, however, have the appearance of a 32-pounder.

Mike

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Can't see how you could drill a square hole. Had to be cast and that would rule out cannonball in my way of thinking.

cc6pack

Reaction score
My shot table shows 6.25 inch diameter and 32.4 lbs for a solid. I agree not a cannon ball. There is a small tolerance for the shells but not as much as you indicated.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

Ye 'Ole Smithy could pound a square hole through it. They were all "cast" wheren't they?

I should have said that the square hole would rule out a cannonball and that the square hole was cast into the object. I would have to agree with you that all were cast. Sometimes my tongue gets caught over my eye teeth and I can't see what I'm saying.[:)]

Erik T

Reaction score
maybe an old wrecking ball with a hole in the center for a bolt (possibly a square one.) or one end of an old dumbell?

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The ball does fit the criteria of being a cannon ball in outward appearance. Could it have been cast round and solid like a cannon ball and cut afterwards with an acetylene torch. The metal does look like it was melted altered at the square openings surface on the sphere it is shiny new looking on the edges of the opening.Just a thought

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well here I am again with a still different thought. I have an old large still-yard some where out in my barn that was used to weigh beef cattle and heaven knows what else. This could have been a sliding ball weight for something like that. At one time I had a wooden box salesman's sample of a wagon scale setup. It is now somewhere in the Smithsonian, but I think it had ball slides on it also. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS