anyone heard of "syfert"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sjbrian

Reaction score
hi all,

i just found and joined this forum today. i need help with 2 bottles i dug today. the first is the one that says "syfert city hall" the bottom says " W T & CO Pat jan1881" it is about 4 inches tall and the color is emerald green. i also dug a blob top soda. the only embossing is " national soda works" any ideas and/or worth?
syfert.JPG

stockton2.JPG

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
Welcome to the forum.Your blobtop is a type of bottle called a "Hutchinson'.National Soda Works (with horseshoe motif),Stockton,Ca.1885-1895.Aqua,7 1/4" -$40-60,according to Polak's 1st edition.Note that many collectors find a lot of prices in MOST guides to be way off base!(And this particular guide is from '94[;)])
I really like the other,though I can't tell you much about it.It's shape and size suggests a medicine,though it could also be a poison,extract,or an oil bottle.An unusual shade of green for sure! A quick Google search (15 pages) suggests 'syfert' is strictly a surname,no places with this name turned up at all.Which makes the "City Hall" reference very odd>:]! "WT&Co" was the trademark of of Whitail-Tatum & Co., Milville,NJ,1857-1935.Don't know where you are but you have two bottles produced on opposite sides of the U.S.Don't tell us you dug them from the same hole![:D]

Hope this helps,

KAT

P.S.Is anyone else finding themselves "logged out" by the time they finish typing a reply?Third time this week![:mad:][>:][:mad:]

sjbrian

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i'm mostly into metal detecting, but sometimes i come across a bottle dump. here is another pic of yesterdays haul. these all came from a large dump in stockton california. i have many other bottles that i may post sometime
stockton3.JPG

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Thanks Roger!Gonna have to take a speed typing course![:D]

Some nice stuff coming out of that dump,Brian! I like the patina on that snuff bottle-any embossing on it?

KAT

sjbrian

Reaction score
nope its smooth all around. got any idea what the tall light green bottle might be?

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Looks like a skinny milk bottle.Measure the capicity-it looks as it might be a pint.

Bottleman

Reaction score
I would have to say that the tall green bottle is probably a food bottle and most likely contained either pickles or olives.

~~Tom (Bottleman12)

KentOhio

Reaction score
That Syfert bottle is nice. With that teal color, I don't think it's worth any less than $40, maybe $50. My guess would be that Syfert was the druggist's name, and he had his pharmacy in the city hall building?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85