anyone interested ingiving info about tumbling?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

1bottleneck

Reaction score
I would like to learn how to build a tumbler. I can practice on the junk bottles before I get the good ones to brake. I am completly new at this and I want to learn. I love to dig so the way I see it I am half way there.Thanks in advance

Gary W.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Gary, Try this link. If you can't find the info you seek in there it doesn't exsist.

Welcome to the forum.[:)]

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Cleaning_and_Repairing/forumid_4/tt.htm

Unidumper

Reaction score
Gary,
I finished building my tumbler in March and have successfully cleaned a few bottles with it. It's late tonight but in a nutshell I bought the motor (1/2 hp, 1145 rpm) on e-bay( with shipping $54, the steel rods (3/4", cold rolled,covered with plastic tubing) from a local welding shop ($10), The pillow block bearings from Surpluscenter.com ($10 each) a 10" pulley for the drive axle from surpluscenter.com ($25) a 2" pulley for the motor ($5). the only trick I found was getting the drive axle and the idler axles the correct distance apart and compensating for the tendency for the canister to drift to one end. The distance that worked for me with a 4" canister from the jar doctor was the width of a 2X4 which is about 3 5/8". To solve the drift problem I mounted an in line skate wheel at the end the canister wanted to be at so the wheel meets the edge of the canister. I'll post a picture for you to get a better visual tomorrow.

It's fun, and I think you will really enjoy this project and the difference it makes in your bottles. Good luck!

Unidumper

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the tumbler I built.

Om31772.jpg

Attachments

• Om31772.jpg
    Om31772.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 71

mudmonkey

Reaction score
I bought all my merchandise (except for the canisters) through e bay for less than 300 dollars.

http://www.oldbottles.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Bottle%20tumbler

1bottleneck

Reaction score
John, Really cool tumbler I think I could come up with 90% of the material at work that we are going to throw away. I am an electrician and I work for a newspaper plant and they have a basement full of motors and conveyors they are currently tossing to make room for more storage. I really do apreciate it .

Thanks Gary W.

1bottleneck

Reaction score
John, All the conveyors have bearings on their rollers and plenty of pulleys, This could be a business in itself. You would probably be upset with all the equipment we have tossed allready! Again thanks for the info.

Gary W.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty