Anyone know what originally came in this bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lmink

Reaction score
I'm not a serious collector, but I think it is very interesting & fun to find old stuff and looking up it's history. We have some old dump sites on the two very old farms we own. Have picked up many bottles, jars and misc surface finds and did some research on them, some are dating back to early 1900's to 1930's. The other day I picked up this bottle, I know this one is not very old, but an "Owens Illinois Glass Co" bottle, Oval circle with diamond with I in it. The 9 has a dot after it. 1949??? Does anyone know what the original contents was in this style bottle? It has a very small screw top.
Once weather warms up I plan to search further & dig farther into the dumps to look for older stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_2438 (2).JPG
    IMG_2438 (2).JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2445 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_2445 (2)_LI.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 115

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Hard to say on that one, by the 1940s there started to be a lot more specialized bottle designs for specific products. I think cooking oil and a cleaning product are both decent possibilities. Probably something that you could buy in a supermarket, and almost certainly not a beverage. Hard to say beyond that really.

lmink

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Hard to say on that one, by the 1940s there started to be a lot more specialized bottle designs for specific products. I think cooking oil and a cleaning product are both decent possibilities. Probably something that you could buy in a supermarket, and almost certainly not a beverage. Hard to say beyond that really.
Thank you. I was also thinking maybe a cleaning product since a smaller size bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler