Anyone want to help me date a Stoneware Jar?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
I recently bought this Jar at a local antique store. At least I think it's a jar. I figured it was made in a 19th century kiln. But I'm not 100% sure what part of the 19th century it's from.

20230715_114721.jpg

20230715_115712.jpg

It almost looks like an ovoid jar, but I don't know if I'd call it an ovoid jar because it's at it's widest at the top 1/3 and not the middle 1/3. I would describe it more as "vase" shaped and not egg shaped, but I'm not overly familiar with the stoneware dating process as applied to Jars. I could be wrong.

The presence of Albany Slip glaze inside the jar suggests it was used for practical purposes. However, the inside does not seem to have the extra lip I've seen in wax sealer Jars.

20230715_134250.jpg

Last edited:

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Kinda looks like a really oversized snuff jar. Maybe it was used for fermenting foods. That would explain the lack of a hard seal I think. Just throwing stuff out there. You seem more of an expert than I am.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's interesting, I don't remember seeing one like that before. It looks almost like it was made by someone who was more used to making stoneware jugs and adapted that shape to have a wider mouth.

east texas terry

Reaction score
That's interesting, I don't remember seeing one like that before. It looks almost like it was made by someone who was more used to making stoneware jugs and adapted that shape to have a wider mouth.
I recently bought this Jar at a local antique store. At least I think it's a jar. I figured it was made in a 19th century kiln. But I'm not 100% sure what part of the 19th century it's from.

View attachment 248173
View attachment 248174

It almost looks like an ovoid jar, but I don't know if I'd call it an ovoid jar because it's at it's widest at the top 1/3 and not the middle 1/3. I would describe it more as "vase" shaped and not egg shaped, but I'm not overly familiar with the stoneware dating process as applied to Jars. I could be wrong.

The presence of Albany Slip glaze inside the jar suggests it was used for practical purposes. However, the inside does not seem to have the extra lip I've seen in wax sealer Jars.

View attachment 248175
I got one that was dug in London England out 1800 dump

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen