Applied neck? And what was it- I’m guessing utility bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I hear Europe was behind as far as our fancy automated glass machines go. And whose looking good, now, right? I can’t tell if the neck is ground- the lip is not- and it’s smooth inside the neck until it gets to where I thought it was broken? There was not a side that wasn’t so gouged up like it was run over with an excavator…. A few times! I’m so surprised it isn’t just busted up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah most of the world was slower to switch over to the ABM than the US, I'm not sure why. They were more reluctant to switch to tooled lips as well. In the UK their 1920s bottles look like what the US was doing in the 1870s. I guess they didn't see the need to switch, maybe labour was cheaper there? It's not like they couldn't have just ordered Owens machines from the US, they were definitely aware of their existence. I don't know if pontils generally lasted much longer in Europe than the US though, maybe 10-15 years later or so. I think pharmaceutical glass was a special exception - maybe because the suppliers were more geared towards custom-made products than mass production?
As for the neck in the photo it definitely looks ground to me, it's more opaque than the rest of it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty