Applying Paper Labels

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
Thanks to cyberdigger, I have come into contact with some awesome labels to put on some slicks I've found. I'll end up giving them out as gifts to people who let me dig. Is there a way to apply a label onto a slick bottle without creating a visible residue that goes through the label and/or bottle? Spray on glue was suggested and I think that may be a good idea. But does anyone have any other ideas?

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Kenneth,

For that authentic touch, you gotta go animal parts:

rabbit-skin-glue-3.jpg

"GELATIN/RABBIT SKIN GLUE A binder, or glue, which is added to chalk to create the gesso — the white ground which is brushed onto and adheres strongly to the wooden panel.

In early times, there were many different kinds of binders, produced primarily by boiling hides, bones and other animal parts. The glues derive their strength from extracted collagen (the protein of the connective tissue that also holds together tendons, bones and teeth). Parchment glue was make by cooking scraps of lamb, goat or calf skin (depending upon the local diet). Fish glue was extracted from the air bladders of sturgeons.

The best rabbit skin glue — made from the hides of French rabbits — is a very flexible glue which is among the oldest and most reliable binders available.

The glue is provided in a granular form, and must be soaked and softened in water overnight. The glue is then heated and dissolves into a liquid, which thickens into a gel as it cools. Rabbit skin glue is an exceptionally strong adhesive. It is also hygroscopic, so the gesso it makes will adjust to the moisture in the air along with the wood, ensuring a lasting bond between support and painted surface.

A good, less expensive substitute for rabbit skin glue is unflavored gelatin (a modern collagen extract from pigs and cows), which is easier to prepare and also creates a strong bond." From.

my-little-pony-glue-factory-best.jpg

kwalker

Reaction score
I'd imagine that stuff must smell kind of raunchy, right? Well maybe if it's made from My Little Ponies it'll smell like rainbows and butterflies and whatever else those creeps eat...

epackage

Reaction score
I use automotive headliner glue, it works perfect....

C5B901ECEC3D49FEB39DED14EB4AC255.jpg

Attachments

• C5B901ECEC3D49FEB39DED14EB4AC255.jpg
    C5B901ECEC3D49FEB39DED14EB4AC255.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members