Archeological dig help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jamdam

Reaction score
We're looking for the 18th century stuff. We do have a lot of European plate shards from that period and hope to find glass. Boxes of stuff to go through.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Most of those tops are more like late 1800's. I see nothing in the glass you have photographed that dates to anywhere near the 1700's unfortunately.

Jamdam

Reaction score
Most of those tops are more like late 1800's. I see nothing in the glass you have photographed that dates to anywhere near the 1700's unfortunately.
Not in this batch for sure. But, there are a lot more to look at. Holding out hope.

Nola.River.Rat

Reaction score
Some of your tops may have looked like these ale and wine bottles from mid to late 1800's. Stuff from the 1700's is really rare, but hopefully you can find some!
23eeb3cd7c9c97784ceef188ca4a2904.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Nickneff

Reaction score
We are back to researching a home site in Louisiana occupied by same family from early 1700's to today. Lots of glass we are trying to identify and date. You folks are the best resource we know so hope you don't mind with some help. I'll try to keep questions to a minimum. Here's an example. We have these three pieces pictured. The top and center definitely are part of same bottle but not sure of base. Mold line on top piece stops at lip and lip appears tooled. Base looks similar but seems cruder with ground pontil. See pictures. So, are these two different bottles, what were they and how old? Thanks for bearing with us!
Looks like a pocket flask I really need one too wow

Nickneff

Reaction score
Here's some liquor tops we'll be trying to date! They liked to drink!
Looks like you have a lot of different age they're usually the clear stuff is the 90s 1890s colored stuff usually falls in the 1880s but without seeing them whole and seeing the bottoms it's hard to tell in that picture always look at your seam line usually the lower the line the older the bottle the lion from the top the lower it gets the older the bottle usually unless it's a turn mode but anything with a the scar the bottom is deathly old be very careful of the pontil Mark Mark at the bottom of blown bottles they will lay you wide open be careful they're extremely Sharp I've seen bottles with a panel so bad that the bottom wouldn't even stand up be careful on them panel scars

Jamdam

Reaction score
Thank you Nick! The pictures I posted were from a working cleaning station but were only a very small part of what we will be dealing with. A family resident dug holes in the yard for years and put everything in large storage boxes. There are dozens of boxes. What you see on the screen is a very small part of one box. If interested, I’ll lay out the contents of this single box so you can see the scope.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen