Arctic Frost Bite Cure labeled and boxed plus more.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Well, here's one heck of an exciting one I bought from from Goodman here. Arctic Frost Bite Cure, manufactured by the hard-to-research Arctic Chemical Company out of Ohio's first and third capital, Chillicothe. The Company didn't do well in grammar (such as that 'effected' is abused, 'Frost Bite' should be one word, lack a dash for 'adap ted' in breaking lines, etc,) and I doubt that their product worked, but hey! All the more fun for us-- especially when you know it's pre-1902 from the base (Click that blue word, then click here to learn what W. T. & Co. means about age-- it's all about that '&.') Although hard to tell, this 25 Cent bottle had a 5/8ths Cent tax stamp similar if not identical to this one.I don't know much about stamps, but they all look like mine and appear to be made only for 1898. So, we can assume this paper label and embossed bottle is circa 1898 - 1901. A very nice T.O.C. bottle for my collection-- my first Cure and only Paper Label or original carton.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B163.JPG
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B164.JPG
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B165.JPG
It's embossed!
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B166.JPG
The mouth looks damaged but is not-- that is a bubble. :D

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
He also gave me these as a graduation gift. :) So I compared the locations I can get to by bike-- all but the Occidental Hotel (and of course the Block House/ Dune) as I could reach were it once stood but don't know where that is. These seem to be mainly 1930s. [:D]
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B079.JPG
The amazing Amazon Knitting Company back in its day.More clear image of the postcard here.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B078.JPG
The landmark Amazon Apartments just a few days before this post.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B159.JPG
Lake Michigan Beach, once also called The Ovals.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B158.JPG
Now known as Bronson Park, a permanent pier put in with 1930s (if I recall) sound-beacon still standing. Amusement park long gone now, though. Same with the trolley tracks and most of the trees.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B021.JPG
Better image. The back of the above card
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B019.JPG
Our tragic loss-- demolished in the 1970s, the Occidental was one of our best places to stay back in the day. As a modernizing thing, my town decided to destroy the majority of the older buildings and homes in places that could be built up with new crap that has also now been demolished as it all failed to help our nearly-dead economy.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B025.JPG
A 1937 linen-type ('30s - '50s the linen cards were used) of the first Block House we had here. It was burned by arsonists and replicated then again set on fire but didn't burn. You can see the lake from the top-story when looking out beyond the park. Here is the info part on the back.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B032.JPG
The only non-local one (still from Michigan.) I don't know the year on this one (yet,) but it is of the Great Sleeping Bear Dune and is an amazing view of a huge mountain of sand. Really, it is quite amazing if you really think about it-- God's hand shaped this.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
He also sent me my first embossed ink bottle.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B035.JPG
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B034.JPG
It's also from Michigan and has what looks like a lip you pour out of. I'm assuming turn-of-the-century? Keller was in business for a few decades, encompassing both the late-1800s and early-1900s. Notice that the base has what looks like a brush-stroke on it-- what caused that? Thank you very much, Mitch!!

goodman1966

Reaction score
Your welcome ! Glad you liked them. Excellent photos, love the ones showing the post cards in the pic. That is just too cool ! I hope you get to see the Great Sleeping Bear Dune one day. If you do please post a pic.
As I told you in one of the pm's I sent you I want to show this to you. I don't know if you noticed it or not. The flask with the neck damage is actually two colors. I've never seen this before the colors are very faint. Hope you can tell by my pics. Mitch
[attachment=image(UE).jpg]
[attachment=image.jpg]

Attachments

• 671550d1ef5a4262a746922aff47fef7.jpg
    671550d1ef5a4262a746922aff47fef7.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 87
  • a04bc0bd07bd40b3b55ee88c6d114893.jpg
    a04bc0bd07bd40b3b55ee88c6d114893.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 75

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Okay, I think I see it-- isn't that the one I claimed might have the lightest tint of SCA? Could that have been the cause? Whatever it is, I'm glad that you're pleased. I don't recall which it is, but what caused the swirling patterns in the neck of the one?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
In doing more research, my computer was just a few minutes ago hit by some sort of an attack. Before I forced it to shut down, I read this: The Arctic Chemical Company in Ohio registered on January 12, 1925, and another site says it was out by November 15, 1928. I found one reference in my search for ' "Arctic Chemical Company" 1935 ' that I'm not sure what the heck to make of... There is a newspaper reference saying that there was an Arctic Chemical Company in Brooklyn before the War-- as it is from 1949, I'm assuming they mean pre-WW2. Another item either said there was an Arctic Chemical Company Limited in either 1888 or 1988. As it was a database, I didn't really find it helpful-- the database stretched from the 1800s to 2000s. All I know, as I also lost my notes I was taking on here. So I refound the page for the Ohio company and would link it, but I do not trust the page after what just happened.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I went back and read the info on the wt&co glassworks that you researched, lot of good info there!! WT & Co must have made over half of the pharmacy style cure bottles that I have in my collection, they sure were in business for a long time.......Andy

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The & in W. T. & Co. puts your bottles at pre-1902-- they took the & out in 1901-1902. Very large bottle-manufacturing company before it switched to insulators.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen