are engraved and embossed bricks worth anything?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
All I could find seemed to point to England also...says it's some kind of "scouring brick."

http://www.answers.com/topic/bath-brick

(uh...don't look at that Erotic Art in Pompeii link)...[8|]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks for your research Whiskey. Makes you wonder how it got over here to Texas. Happy Diggin, Kelley

P.S. I didn't look at that Erotic Art in Pompeii link.[;)][sm=rolleyes.gif]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Kelley,
Bath is a City I know very well. [:D] It's about 7 miles East of Bristol,S.W.England, and it's renown for it's Georgian architecture in yellow sandstone.Manufactorers started making bricks to imitate the sandstone,and Bristol was/is a manufactoring and shipping center.
Both the bricks and the real stone were(and still are!) often used as whetstones for sharpening knives and such.I have a couple myself.Never heard of them used as scourers,at least not over there.Your brick has a gritty feel it?In fact looking at the photo again,it looks as if the top edge is saddlebacked.Has it been worn down smooth,like from metal?That might be why it ended up in Texas. [;)]

Hope this helps,

KAT

You can see these bricks used on this building in Bath.

Us53613.jpg

Attachments

• Us53613.jpg
    Us53613.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 73

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Kitty, we haven't heard from you in awhile. Nice to have you back. I believe you hit the nail on the head. I took a closer look and I believe a whetstone is exactly what it was used for! I guess every Military man carried a pocket knife so that part makes sense. I can even make out some faint blade marks on the saddled top part. Thanks buddie, [:D] Kelley

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Thanks Kelley,
Had a particularly NASTY spyware infection that kept me offline for about a month before I was able to get rid of it.[:mad:]

RE:Your brick. I think it was most likely part of the company/fort carpenter's toolkit.(Or possibly the sappers') A regular size brick is not exactly pocket-sized. [:D]

Nice piece with a story and one you can use.

KAT

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Hi KAT...thanks for the info.
The link I posted refers to it being used as a scourer in Bath...Actually I don't care what it was used for...I want one cause it has Bristol on it...[;)]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Whiskey, we got kicked out of that Fort. (Narrowminded new land owner[:mad:]) If we ever get back on there I'll keep a sharp eye out for you one. We have found numerous bricks there but that's the only debossed one. Happy Diggin, Kelley

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Big Shame, Kelley,
I was going to suggest taking a metal detector to the site-in case there are any old carpenters' tools in the vicinity.(They're worth a bit change!)Maybe you should take the brick instead and try negotiate with new owner.(You can always beat him into submission with it if he still refuses![:D])

Hope it works out mate!

KAT

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Whiskey,
Tried to quote you but doesn't appear to cooperate.Why do you want "Bristol" markings?I'm sorry but I'm still trying to catch up on this forum after an involuntary L.O.A.

"Bristol",England, produced LOTS of merchandise so I'm sure something will turn up sooner or later over on your side of the pond!

KAT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin