Are quart size bottles less collectible?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine27

Reaction score
Are quart size bottle's of slimier rarity from regional bottlers less desirable?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well generally I'd say no but they do take up way more space in width and height, if space is unlimited then go for it I say. But yea for certain bottlers if they are tough to find and price is right I'll grab it.....it does look cool when you have all the different sizes displayed for any bottler.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
SO I like all sizes, It depends on the figural objective, the type or finish treatment and the pontil marks. because those things tell us how it was made. Everyone has a different goal. Mine is looking for things like twist marks in the neck, which tell me that the bottle was turned in the mold. to reduce the showing of the mold seams. I depend on the bottle to tell me how it was made. It is a GREAT HOBBY. RED Matthews

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've wondered about that myself. A couple years back I got a bunch of beautiful multi-colour pictorial ACL quarts for a few bucks each at a collectibles show and no one else had bought them before I came along, which surprised me. They were being sold by a bottle guy who usually has pretty normal prices as well. I've never seen normal-sized bottles like that for that cheap.

Maine27

Reaction score
I would think that most bottlers made less quart sized bottles? I would also think the quart sized bottles would have less of a chance to survive over the years do to size. All things being equal, one would think the value of them would be higher.

Eric

Reaction score
Depends on the brand/company... I would like to find/have more Nichol Kola Quarts... tough to find.Around here it's mostly 7up... I missed out on a full case (12) of Quart Hires Root Beer for $40!.. Myson still gives me trouble over that one... I think they're great to mix in with others.

bottleopop

Reaction score
My thoughts and experience is limited to deco sodas since I collect only those. In that limited sphere, I have noticed a few things on the issue of quart size, both in the auction world and in the antique store world. The large size bottles do seem to be comparatively inexpensive. Like Canadacan, I think it looks cool to have all the sizes of a bottle, so I tend to favor the unusually large size as well as the unusually small size of bottles, and have considered myself lucky to have been able to buy some large sized bottles for a surprisingly small amount of money. If a particular bottle comes in only two sizes, like, say, 6 ounce and 28 ounce, the larger one will tend to not have a high price and possibly be even cheaper than the little one. However, if a bottle comes in several sizes, the largest size can be quite expensive. In this type of case, size is collectible! There are some nice deco bottles in the 6 or 7 ounce range, but the same brand's quart size bottle is only partly deco (and I assume (a missing) paper label for the main part of the bottle), and, at least I, wouldn't even buy one of those for 10¢. Another thing I noticed about quart size deco bottles is that they seem to be more common (or more commonly sold) if they are Canadian. Curiously, there are some really large deco Canadian bottles; the Mammy, Jumbo, and Flirt. Maybe Canadians liked buying soda in bulk more than people in the United States did. I could see that, in a colder climate, drinking some cold soda would not be quite the emergency as it might be in the southern U.S., so keeping a large bottle of sodapop around a while would be the norm. Now, I know this part is quite nerdy, but I did a pivot table of my (all different) bottle spreadsheet's capacity column and noticed some statistics on sizes in that spreadsheet. Large bottles come in 24, 26, 27, 28, 30, 32, 48, and 60 ounce sizes. The actual quart (32 oz) types are few. I have 3 times as many of the 28 ounce (7/8 quart) size, and 7 times as many 24 ounce (3/4 quart) as 32 ounce bottles, and just as many 30 ounce (15/16 quart) as 32 ounce types, and 1.5 times as many 26 ounce (13/16 quart) bottles. I don't know why bottlers used so many different sizes of bottles. I have heard the term 'picnic size', a non-numeric size (meaning a few drink's worth, I guess) which might be a better term than 'quart size'.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Just a continuation on this great topic about quarts, and it's really neat to hear other collectors thoughts and preferences. Now I know some people would never bother with 70's bottles to much but I love my Coke, and yes I'm sure bottleopop is referring to older bottlers in his awesome spread sheet., and there is a goal to this I suppose. Now I have nothing fancy going on here but I did notice we up here in Canada had a size not available in the USA...I think? 40oz- 1.14 liters. This bottle tied into my whole trying to get the complete chronology/generations of the white ACL Coca-Cola label 1958-1979...there are 4 generations to the main core with a few other variations, one of which could make one more generation. My 40oz bottle is from 1975 and there is another one from the generation before marked just 40oz...Those are bottles that just don't seem to be around so when I had the chance to grab one I did! Well enough said about that before this tuns into a novel! [attachment=2015-06-26 23.32.04_resized.jpg] Just to make a none related note...Yes I'm missing the 16oz bottle for this generation![:(][attachment=2015-06-26 23.44.14_resized.jpg]

Attachments

• f82638db9f3d4f9abd92486110aa6016.jpg
    f82638db9f3d4f9abd92486110aa6016.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 92
  • dd22beab4c44427b9fb1d759b065e51f.jpg
    dd22beab4c44427b9fb1d759b065e51f.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 93

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members