Are there any other Canadians here?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been scanning this site for some time now, gathering info and am just wondering if I'm the only Canadian here? I'm located in Ontario and find so much of the talk here about bottles that are unfamiliar, at least when it comes to their brands.

I've been collecting for over 30 years but have just begun digging seriously myself. My two sons are very interested in it as well. We all collect coins as well as bottles. Myself....I'm a pack rat....I collect anything that grabs my fancy.

Anyhow....hello to all...

Brian

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey bne74honda..
Welcome...I laughed out loud at your statement to your son! Funny! I needed that today...bless you!

[8D]The Doc [X(]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Oh and by the way I live near Ontario too...Ontario, Oregon....snicker snicker.

Love, Peace, and Hippy Beads....the Doc[X(]

bottlerobin

Reaction score
Hello Brian
I'm from Toronto, Ontario
Have been digging 4 years in toronto area

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hi Robin,

Good to hear from another Ontarian! I work in Toronto (Downsview) and live just south of Barrie. I've been collecting for many years and have just recently become passionate about it.

Where have you been digging? Do you travel to sites very far outside the city? I've done a fair bit of research on TO itself and find it facinating to learn about all the old cemeteries and stables that are now buried under the downtown core.

I grew up in Etobicoke and used to walk along the ditches beside Martingrove Rd collecting bottles to return to Consumer's Glass for a nickle a piece! If only I had those sodas now! [:(]

Back then, Eglinton Ave in Etobicoke was a 2 lane gravel road known as Richview Side Road. There were farms all along it...one in particular near what is now Kipling Ave used to give pony rides! There was also an old one room schoolhouse at the corner of Martingrove and Richview Side road. It was actually there up until around 1970.

Anyhow, hope to talk to you more some time!

Brian

bottlerobin

Reaction score
Hello Brian
It's amazing the stuff buried in the downtown core.
There's still areas in the city with remnants of the old dumps, Cherry street being one example.
It's tough digging but some neat stuff from around 1890 - 1915.
The other sites are more random such as construction sites, but this where the interesting bottles are found. The whole lakefront is a land fill site dating from 1860's - 1920.
My collection consists of stoneware containers (inks, ginger beers, primitives).
Lately i've started collecting sodas (squats, hutchisons) from 1860's - 1900.
If you're interested in doing some digging in the city let me now.
Lucky me i live downtown close to the digging.

Robin

My email address
randerson@echoadvertising.com

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Brian and Robin, I'm 'almost' in Canada! I live just outside of Portland, Maine, so we're sort of neighbors.[:)] My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Nova Scotia back in 76' and still have very fond memories of the friendliness of the people there. The one thing we found very amusing at the time is that they didn't have a clue how to make a pizza at the town we were staying in![8D] You folks are the best 'neighbors' a country could have![:)]

bottlerobin

Reaction score
Thank you Norm
Well 30 odd years ago Nova Scotia was a lot more rural than it is now, but you must of had some great seafood. I live in Toronto in the great lakes region of Ontario, it's Canada's largest city.
The city is very multicultral with great dining and entertainment, so if your wife and you decide
to visit Canada again why not give Toronto a try. The city's expanding at a great rate with all the condos being built, this where the bottles are coming from, but i'm afraid soon this source will
be gone.
Again thanks for the reply Norm

Robin

bne74honda

Reaction score
Yes, Thanks Norm...

Last summer I took my wife and kids to Vermont on vacation and we found the people all throughout our trip to be just super. Many of our friends up here where concerned about what kind of reception we wuld get in the US based on our governments' stance on the war issue, but we were greeted and treated like brothers.

Robin is absolutely right as well in saying that you should try Toronto out. It is Canada's version of New York. Great nightlife, theatre, clubs, dining...you name it.

(of course I'm a country boy now, raised in Toronto and ran away as soon as I could! LOL)

Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles