Are you looking for a probe?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey all. I was searching the web for a good probe and I came across this web-site: www.TandTtools.com. Seems that they got it all covered. They have a very nice professional line; including insulated (for reducing risk of electrical shock), extensions, connectors, tips, etc. The prices seem OK too. A Heavy Duty 5 footer is only $37.00 complete! plus shipping... If your looking for a good probe maybe you can check them out. I'm going to order mine right away. And, NO, I am not on their payroll. I just wanted to let you all in on what seems to be a good deal...

flasherr

Reaction score
I saw a probe at home depot for under $20 but im not sure if it is spring steel. I made one that looked like it would work great well I was wrong the HARD Texas ground turned it into a pretzel. Anyone know about the ones at home depot in the plumbing section
Brian

diginit

Reaction score
I haven't seen the readymade probes at HD, But spring steel is tough stuff.
Bend it and the resistance will increase. It doesn't bend easily and when it does it springs back to its original position.

Just a thought-Maybe an equipment forum. One with links to sites like the one above.
with digging equipment, backpacks, and dare I say...metal detectors.[:D] or...
maybe we should just forget the whole thing.[;)]

Bottleman

Reaction score
Instead of paying those high prices for probes, you can make your own for only $7. You can go to a local hardware store or Lowe’s and buy a 8 foot spring steel lighting rod grounding rod. I cut it in half so I have a 3 foot and a 5 foot probe. I welded a T handle on the top and it’s never failed me yet. Have found lots of privies with them and some good bottles too!

~~Tom

heavy

Reaction score
Bottleman- what is the quality of the grounding rod spring steel, and what is the diameter ?

Thanks !

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey all. I bought one of the probes from Lowe's like the one at Home Depot, flassher; IT"S CRAP! It already is bowed severely and every time I put alot pressure on it I feel I'm taking my life in my hands. Thanks for the idea Bottleman. I would love to save money by making my own probe. However, for the price of a welder (since I don't own one) I could buy many 'high priced' probes. I also like the fact that the professional ones' give you the abilty to add extensions and can come insulated, replacable tips, warrenty, etc. I saw the plans on the forum from a few days' ago for a probe. They were great, but by the time I add the price of the parts along with the time spent (away from digging) it is better for ME to just fork over the cash to get a professional quality tool. Besides, I'm sure that next hole will produce enough rare bottles for me to retire on...

Bottleman

Reaction score
Heavy- The rod that I bought was 1/2 inch thick. You can buy thinner ones if you want but I personally like a thicker rod because with a thinner one, it goes down in the ground pretty easily everywhere and its hard to tell if you are over one or not. My 1/2 inch one gives you the right amount of tension in the ground and when you hit a hole it will still sink fast though! The ones on that website are to thin in my opinion because they are meant for finding hidden pipes underground where you need them to be thin so get them through the soil fast. That’s not the idea of a bottle probe. You want to be able to tell a distinctive difference between regular ground and a privy.

Hope this helps, Tom

appliedlips

Reaction score
Check out this link.I have been using these probes for years.I think a four footer runs about 14 bucks.To anyone new,3/16"-5/16" springsteel is the right size.A half inch is much too large.The tip gives you resistance not the rod,it should be larger than the rod.I do not use the screw on tips that come with these probes,rather discard them and build a cone shaped weld on the tip.The screw on tips and extensions will never last,and nothing worse than having one bust in the middle of a dig.Simply put you can pay $30-$50 for a probe but why.At this price it is not worth doing it yourself.Doug

http://www.schlattersinc.com/home.htm

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey all. Thanks for all of the great discussion on probes! One thing for sure, everyone has their own style. Looks as though this important diggers' tool has alot to do with personal taste and "feel". I personally wanted to be sure that the handle on the probe I got was 'isolated' from the steel rod. You never know where you might find an energized line. Even if you get the utility company to mark theirs. I was shocked once before and want to do all I can to prevent it in the future. It's not fun! So I'll pay a little more. I think I agree that the 'resistance' to probing should come from the tip. I think I'll be using a ball shaped tip to achieve this. I'm still pretty new to privie locating so, I will only know if I made the right choice in a probe from experience.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776