Aschenbach & Miller PHILADA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
surface, I have a bear of a time trying to post photos, although I think I finally figured it out. I don't know how I added those watermarks to the first two pics?? Anyway, thanks for the photo of your aqua Aschenbach & Miller, I see how the amber bottle has a different neck. Tom.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Curious nobody noticed or mentioned the INC. on the amber example, leading me to think it was a later production, (since the aquas I have seen don't include the INC,) and possibly short(er) in duration. We all need to be digging in newer sites! How often is THAT heard? Also, believe same firm made the bird bitters cabin? There is some brief mention in Fike's "A Bottle Book" listing the two as purchasing an interest in a Phil. drugstore in 1862 and controlling interest 2 years later and renaming it Aschenbach & Miller. Apparently still in business as of 1985 and ad for the bird bitters in 1901, aka "the bird food co" and "The Phil. Bird Food Co." Bird Bitters only 4" tall and clear, though I think I have seen amber as well somewhere, and embossed in a gothic arched panel, "Aschenbach & Miller/Philada." I found one of your aqua type missing the neck in a pontil era pit, but had a smooth base. Suspect the early ones date from mid 60's and if mine were whole, you'd have trouble prying it from my hands for <$50! Hope this helps....

surfaceone

Reaction score
85B6E3CB090947BE8F9ECD9C152A0034.jpg

Curious nobody noticed or mentioned the INC. on the amber example, leading me to think it was a later production, (since the aquas I have seen don't include the INC,) and possibly short(er) in duration.

Hey Cannibal Jack,

I did not notice the "Inc" until you raised the question. I was too dazzled by the shoulders & neckline of Tom's Aschenbach.

"We give below a sketch of the life of Mr. Aschenbach. He was not a graduate of the College, but was well known in the drug-trade. His partner, Dr. A. W. Miller, '62, has been for many years the Corresponding Secretary of the College.

Mr. Frederick Aschenbach was born in Saxony, Germany. He came to this country with his parents at quite an early age, and received his education in the public schools of this city. He served his apprenticeship in the drug business with Dr. Lindsey, at the corner of nth and Master Streets, in this city. Afterwards he entered the employ of Henry O. D. Banks at the corner of Fourth and Callowhill Streets, of this city. After having had chief charge of this establishment for several years, the new firm of Heary O. D. Banks & Company was formed by the admission of Frederick Aschenback and Adolph W. Miller in May, 1862. About three years later Mr. Banks withdrew from active business and the remaining partners associated themselves together under the title of Aschenbach & Miller. The old quarters becoming too narrow for the increasing business, the property at the corner of Third and Callowhill Streets, was purchased by the firm, and the business removed to the new locality.

At Mr. Aschenbach's request the firm was incorporated under the laws of the State of Pennsylvania on November 1, 1905, under the title of Aschenbach & Miller, Incorporated, so that the extensive business will suffer no interruption.

Frederick Aschenbach reached the age of about 68 years. He died at his residence on School Lane, Germantown, on the morning of March 26. He was interred at Ivy Hill Cemetery, Mount Airy, Phila., on March 29, with the beautiful and impressive ceremonies of the Masonic Fraternity, of which Mr. Aschenbach had been a member for his entire business career. He is survived by a widow, one daughter and six grandchildren." From Philadelphia College of Pharmacy Alumni Report 1906.

300_48435.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter