ash and bricks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bigghouse

Reaction score
hi everyone, its almost time to go in the river, but i was just wondering why there is ash and broken bricks in a big giant clump, where i look for bottles. i found 2 wyeth caps in their, thats my favorite spot to dig in!! i will post pix of the river next time i go, (wich should be in a few weeks).

thatnks everyone! annna

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
HI Anna, I know what you mean by ash and brick in the river bank, when I dig drained rivers up here in NH, thats how I find the bottles too. I think in some cases it is because somewhere along the line, maybe in the 1950, people were landscaping or changing their yards, and would be digging with a back hoe, and would come across a brick lined privy. They wouldn't want to have bricks bottles, and broken glass in the soil in the yard, so they would take the privy stuff, and dump it into the river.

Dug in a privy up here in NH yesterday, got some nice bottles. I'll be posting them soon.
Take care, Bram

bigghouse

Reaction score
oo cool, would you no why theres a bunch of cow bones in there too? theres fishbones, but its in a harbor so im preetty sure that has nothing to do with bootles[:D] but the cow bones r everywhere!!!!!!!!

Poeticallyinsane

Reaction score
You're finding cow bones where there is water? Years ago a cow probably went to close for a drink of water and fell in, drowned and probably with more then one cow if they are everywhere.

Stardust

Reaction score
many cows die from lighting strikes as it travels across the ground and then you add in the water and then there gone. It's sad but true. All depends on which way the current in running.
stardust

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Hey Anna..
There is this one dump we dig where some times the bones out weigh the bottles [:D] they are pig bones.a lot of people used to butcher there own meat back then.(cows & pigs) depending where they dumped there trash be it the river or somewhere in the woods,the bones came with the trash.The drowning cows does sound funny though.[8D]

bigghouse

Reaction score
i no of at least one cow that drowned in their, but i think theres alot more then one

annna

JGUIS

Reaction score
Anna, that's a dump. Ashes, bones, bricks, lids on a river bank=dump. Sometimes they dumped glass in a different but close spot to the garbage dump, but not often. Keep digging in it, you'll find something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL