Aside from bottles , What else do you collect ??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
And I like fossils as well.

B62C02A522A44FAB886BDE17B4B46946.jpg

Attachments

• B62C02A522A44FAB886BDE17B4B46946.jpg
    B62C02A522A44FAB886BDE17B4B46946.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 93

LC

Reaction score
And this trilobite is the species, Isotelus Gigas, ten inches in length, from the Ordivician Period, state fossil of Ohio. As as I said, I have many other interests as well, but plan to phase many of them out in the near future to try and achieve some kind of order in my life !

D557950248DE4968A9EF2210026E4859.jpg

Attachments

• D557950248DE4968A9EF2210026E4859.jpg
    D557950248DE4968A9EF2210026E4859.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 94

rlo

Reaction score
LC wow 10"? would love to find any fossil that big. what a great find. let me know if you are going to phase out your fossils. I would be very interested.

adshepard

Reaction score
I limit my collecting to items related to the steamship era off Eastport/Lubec, Maine. All the bottles and clay pipes I collect come from dives from where the piers used to be. I also collect old books, pamphlets and brochures from the steamship period along with the old postcards depicitng the vessels.

The items display rather nicely with the bottles.

Alan

LC

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments Becca. I was in a hurry when I posted the pictures and was not thinking about all I wanted to add the the pictures as for definition. Regretfully, the 10 inch Isotelus is a reproduction casted from the original fossil. It was found about three miles from where I live. I was with the Gentleman who found it. He found it when splitting apart a large chunk of clay while doing a dig in clay from the Ordivician period. The fossil split apart on both sides of the clay. I watched this guy lay on the ground and pick up fragmentation from this fossil for a good hour and a half. He placed into beer flats, and took it home and reconstructed it. I believe he said it took him a good forty hours or so to finish it. He is known to be one of the best in the country at reconstructing fossils such as this one. Had the real one in my hands once. He had to threaten to kill me before I would give it back to him ! Regretfully, he sold that piece of ground to another guy who does not allow anyone on the proprty now. I miss having the opportunity to surface collect there. Go on the net and do a search on Mount Orab formation, and it will bring up the site in which this fossil was retreived from as well as other info. I went to the Mueseum of Natural History about four or five years ago in Cincinnati. In their fossil room there was a specimen there that was annonomously donated by someone in a neighboring county that is twice as large as this one and almost 100 percent intact. These are seldom hardly ever found in a complete state, that is whey those that can afford it excavate for them. At the site I make mention of, I have seen them bulldoze at times as deep as fourteen feet down into the earth before they hit the Ordivician layer of clay, then they try and break out large pieces of it, stand it on its side and attempt to split it in as many different layers as they can, hoping to discover the big boys as the one I posted a pic of. This was the longest one ever dug at this site to this date. I had seen them split that clay and expose as many as six to eight up to around six inches or so, all laying there together just as they were buried by land slides millions of years ago. Its a real rush to see something like that if you like fossils, even if you can not have them for yourself, or at least it was for me.
As for selling, I may get rid of a few, never really thought about selling them though. Keep in touch from time to time concerning them in case I forget, which I have a bad habit of doing !

LC

Reaction score
I wish I could turn back the clock a bit and learn to dive. I know some places where I would simply love to explore as far as for finding really old bottles. As for books, I have bananna boxes stacked in my garage full of vintage books. I should get rid of them, before they end up getting ruined, if they have not been ruined already. Never found a lot of steam ship related items, they sound interesting though. If you get the time post a few pics of what you collect, I would lke to see some of it.

bigghouse

Reaction score
I WILL NOT GO INTO ALL THINGS I LIKE TO COLLECT, I AM STILL TRYING TO RECOUPERATE FROM THE LAST TIME I POSTED ALL OF WHAT I LIKE TO COLLECT !

member this?

m1.gif
RE: WhAt ElSe???? - 12/30/2007 2:20:38 AM

replyflat1.gif

replyflat.gif

forwardflat.gif

showPicture("12/29/2007 2:20:38 AM",0,0,0,139034,8)
board_s.gif

L C

titleAndStar(1152,0,0,false,"","")
5star.gif

[align=center] [/align]
blank.gif

What a subject ! I myself, have collected bottles for the past thirty years or so. Have surface collected fossils from the Ordivician Period for around twenty years. Have a vintage metal lunchbox collection of around 140, all in Bananna boxes, those are great to have, have no place to put them. Into gas and oil memorabilia for the past 12 to 15 years, had to sell three gas pumps out of the garage recently to try and make a little room, still have one local pump left, as well as gobs of cans, a few globes, pump inserts , some signs, as well as other oil mem. . Have approx. 25 cast iron steam engines, Marx, American Flyer, and Lionel, all in boxes, why do I have them at all !! I have a collection of approx 250 Matchbox & Hotwheels cars still in their blister pack, mostly from the early to middle eighties, these are also in boxes....... Small collection of Ninja Turtles and E T in blister packs,, yes,,, also in boxes. Quite a few other toys, some windups, Comical Carla is one of my favorites. Into hunting and fishing mem., have roughly 50 or so reels, as well as vintage fishing liscenses, minnow buckets and other related items. Quit a few vintage ammo boxes and other hunting mem. . Eight or ten cone top beer cans, plus a large assortment of other vintage tins, again mostly in boxes. A small collection of old BB guns. A collection of approx 40 gas and oil trucks. Have roughly twenty five vintage table model radios as welll af approx. sixty transistor radios as well, again stacked in boxes. And then there are those 130 plus bananna boxes stacked in the garage with things from A to Z. As you can tell, I also collect bananna boxes ! Have roughly twenty straight razors. Love wood working with a passion, my latest project being wooden knives and straight razors. Have a few of those listed on eBay at present, but have some I keep for myself as well. I have a collection of roughly sixty pocket knives. I have a collection of roughly 25 vintage baseball ball bats and around 65 vintage ball gloves, cards and so forth. I love to fish for shovelehad cats. I love to aggravate my Hummingbirds in the summer months, they are so fun to watch. I have a couple of cream seperators in the garage, as well as many other things that some time just jumps out and grabs me when I am out running places. And I know I am sure I am forgetting somthing else! Yes tigue, blasphemy ! Out of all this plunder, My favorite hobby of them all is the bottles. Need to have an auction to regain order back into my life, and thinking strongly of doing so, except for my bottles that is. Gee, I need a nap..............

< Message edited by L C -- 12/30/2007 2:27:06 AM >

LC

Reaction score
Thanks a lot bigghouse ! I actually do remember this, I just didn't have the energy to retype all of that a second time around !

LC

Reaction score
I think I have some new old stock ones from Hillsboro, Ohio, I think from around the 1930s. They are still in the flat. Have some of them of ice cream as well. Would you be interested in one or both of them. You are referring to the ones that are heavy paper with a wax finish on them aren't you. I think I know where they are.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide