Aside from bottles , What else do you collect ??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AlexD

Reaction score
I really don't collect all that much, just deal. I'd like to collect old early-ages stuff, like tooth necklaces, Tikis, African masks, and bones maybe? But that stuff cost so much [:-]

LC

Reaction score
Trilobites , vintage metal lunch box collection , anyone interested in buying them ? , pocket knives , Hull pottery , just got rid of my trains , Hot Wheels cars from the eighties still in their blister packs , anyone interested in buying them ? , gas and oil memorabilia , Star wars toys , a few straight razors , I think that is all . Thinking about getting rid of a lot of it except for my bottles . The lunch boxes and Hotwheels and Star Wars toys are for sale for sure as a collection .

j.dinets

Reaction score
Besides bottles, I think if I could find it and it didn't move fast enough I collected it. It's led to at best an eclectic grooup of items. Silurian age fossils (trilobites, (Calymene Celebra) my favorites), silver coins,(old and new), freign coins I picked up in my travels, shells I found snorkelling. Art pottery, jugs, pre 1910 chicago "stuff", kerosene lamps, sterling misc., arrowheads, (most of which my grandfather found out west, and at buffalo rock in illinois), and much, much, more. I cringe when I see episodes of "Hoarders"[:eek:], and use it to keep myself in line. But its' been a world of fun, especially the bottles.

LC

Reaction score
Wrong section darnit , my apologies .

LC

Reaction score
The trilobites I collect are from the Ordovician Period . I find the Flexacalymene Ratrosas , Flexacalymene Meekis and the Isotelous Gigas species. I like the big dogs , the Isotelous , they have been found as long as thirty inches . Regretfully , I have never been fortunate to find one , only enrolled smaller ones .

j.dinets

Reaction score
Back in the 70's there was a man named Alfie, ( I think his name was Richard Alfirevic ), who owned a rock shop in Palos Hills illinois. I would buy chunks of rock from him, that were from a quarry in Sylvania Ohio. I would spend hours breaking them apart and looking for trilobites. I found a lot of heads, mostly Phacops if my memory serves me correctly. I had always wanted to make a trip out there, and when I decided to I found out the quarry had closed[&o].SIGH!!

LC

Reaction score
I knew a guy who dug in a few quarries a good many years ago . He found some really nice specimens of the Phacops varieties and good sized ones as well . I never had the privilege of doing that . Most quarries today are off limits for that kind of activity due to fear of law suits if someone got hurt . I have two castings of Phacops that are really neat . One has to be careful today , the market is flooded with worthless castings . Got burnt good one time at a rock shop in Tucson , did not realize I had got burned till I was away from the place . I went back and stormed through the door and the owner immediately asked me if I wanted a refund . He knew what he had . I am adding a pic of one of the fake Phacops I have for the forum to see , could not figure out what I did with the other one . Like I said you can really get burnt if you are not careful . If this one was laying out flat it would be three inches wide by six inches long . Thankfully I knew this was a fake at the time I bought it , never figured I would ever have the real specimen that size .

F69904A2225D4F51BB4EC3B2C48C2F30.jpg

Attachments

• F69904A2225D4F51BB4EC3B2C48C2F30.jpg
    F69904A2225D4F51BB4EC3B2C48C2F30.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 82

j.dinets

Reaction score
It sure would have been impressive though! There used to be a fossil park, Olander Park System (419-882-8313), I was told you could search there for fossils, but could not use any tools to dig them up, but I was told this has closed as well? I've run into huge trilobites at the International Gem shows. However when I asked about them they are assmbled from pieces of many different ones , imbedded in a matrix with fake chisel marks all around them to make it look like they were naturally there. this is never mentioned unless you ask specifically about them. I stayed away from them. Even if they are "real" pieces, its like buying a bottle with a replaced top.

LC

Reaction score
Probably ones from Moroco , they had them out in the rock shops in Tucson at four hundred bucks a pop . They were quite big .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR