Asking permissions!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KBbottles

Reaction score
I decided to step outside my comfort zone after work and knocked on two doors this afternoon to ask permission to dig.  One is an 1880s house that i have gotten to know the owner of.  The first time i met her, i was out for a jog and saw bottles in her window and she happened to be sitting outside. So we struck up a nice convo of local history and such. Turned out,  Shes a big arrowhead hunter, etc so understands the passion of collecting.  Unfortunately, she wasnt home today, but i left a nice bottle and a flyer i made up with pictures and such for her in her mailbox.

House two... I had found two big farm dumps this summer with materials spanning 100+ years piled in layers.  Got a few common pontils and an old SW Bell smooth base out of the bottom of one pit and a ton of other stuff like a whole puce drakes, and other goodies.  The wife of the household was home and was very fascinated to hear about the hobby.  She even let me in the foyer!  I offered her a bottle and she appreciated the gesture but didnt want it lol.  Her husband happens to be an antique furniture restorer and she said that he would most likely love to speak with me soon when he is home during the day or on a weekend. I also brought up the name on an old cast iron property sign i dug there and that same person had lived in that house...which confirmed that the dump i dug was from thst house.  I will definitely be going back and i gave her my contact info on the flyer.  Fingers crossed!  

jvharp

Reaction score
Cool, I hope it works out for you. I still to this day have never had the nerve to ask anyone permission to dig in their yard, field or otherwise. So far I just stay on property that is family owned or owned by friends whom I know well enough to know it's OK for me to dig.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Knocking on doors is almost a separate hobby. Or I should say a separate "challenge". It can be really miserable to knock on a door and get a nasty rejection, if you are just starting out, or have never had a big success in getting one, and having it pan out.
On the other hand, if you get up the nerve, and knock on a door, feeling very dorky and awkward, and have it turn into a permission, and then have it turn in to a time capsule of whole pontiled bottles, packed into a little privy in the corner of the yard, next to the kids swingset, you will be hooked. Not only on digging privies, but on knocking on doors, and turning a "no" into a "yes". It's like cold call sales.
Can't say I've had that experience a whole lot of times, but I've had a taste of it.

Good luck!

ballyhooligan

Reaction score
I'm kind of terrified to try to knock on doors to get permission.. I'm big, tattooed, and scary looking... even though I'm a really nice guy. Have you had any success mailing letters first to kind of break the ice before doing a face to face?

David Fertig

Reaction score
Hi. I'm Dave and I collect bottles and other old things.

Can I dig a hole in your backyard where the former occupants used to poop?

No, really. It's what I do for fun.

Here's a card with my number and here's some pictures of bottles I found, if you want to take a look.

We always let some bottes for the homeowner, if they like.

Would you mind if I just look in your back yard? If we can locate the privy, we'd like to come back and dig on Saturday, if that's ok.

Great! Thanks! I'll go get my probe from the truck and meet you out back.

David Fertig

Reaction score
Bally - ever look at other privy diggers?

None of us are 100% "right"

Don't wear dark glasses and a hoodie pulled over your entire head.

KBbottles

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would love to share a copy of the flyer some time. Shoot me an email or PM through the forum and I can forward you a template when i can. Obviously mine is personalized, but you can adjust. Something simple explaining the hobby. Offering to show and share your finds from previous digs, etc... Discussing local history. yada yada.

I'd say from experience so far that several historic home-owners have a vested interest in the history of their property. It is a good idea to do as much homework as you possibly can on the history of the area and the home so that you can spark discussion and pique their interest.

I just got a call from the first home I approached and she wants me to stop by and talk more and show some of my recent finds. Since I learned she collected arrowheads last summer, I left her a bottle that was embossed "Indian vegetable cough syrup and blood purifier" and she LOVED the surprise in her mailbox.

YES it is very uncomfortable at first, but when you think to yourself... What do you have to lose by asking? If you get a no, just move on to the next one. They're usually not going to be very rude and threatening. Be as presentable and prepared as you can and hope for the best! I started off at the business I am in doing many many cold calls a day so this is very similar in some ways. Just takes some getting used to. [:D]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Door knocking and requesting permission to dig is part and participle of the hobby. Without it you reduce the opportunities to dig privy pits by 65%, minimum. Of course you will be rejected occasionally, but don't let be a deterrence. You don't have to dress up to be a door knocker, but you do have to appear "normal". Like you were advised, no stupid hooded sweatshirts, no dark glasses, no filthy clothes, and speak clearly. No mumbling, look them in the eyes and present your reasons for the request. Never, ever, say that you are seeking valuable antique bottles, just tell them of your collecting hobby and explain that there was no trash pickup 125 years ago and such was often buried in the back yards. Be careful of using the "P" word. Some folks can't abide the thought of someone playing in the old poop of a privy. We all know that anything organic has long turned to soil, but they do not. Break that to them after the fact if you suspect that they might be a bit squeamish. It's a developing art, so don't expect success at every cold call. Above all, be yourself, smile, and state your case.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960