Asking permissions!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ballyhooligan

Reaction score
I used to get permission to metal detect all the time when I was a kid by knocking on doors, but I didn't look even remotely threatening... and now that I live outside of Baltimore, I just don't see people opening their door to me... but I'll give it the old college try.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Baltimore is probably one of the harder large cities to get permissions in. And most of the other small maryland towns are not that good for privy digging. Small very well dipped pits are the normal in the state.

Chris

peejrey

Reaction score
I have to ask this question:
Has anyone ever been turned away after explaining the fact that you would be digging in 100 year old poop? Say maybe the lady of the house would be to disgusted by someone digging up that kind of stuff in there front or back yard?
Just wondering......[;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

I decided to step outside my comfort zone after work and knocked on two doors this afternoon to ask permission to dig.  One is an 1880s house that i have gotten to know the owner of.  The first time i met her, i was out for a jog and saw bottles in her window and she happened to be sitting outside. So we struck up a nice convo of local history and such. Turned out,  Shes a big arrowhead hunter, etc so understands the passion of collecting.  Unfortunately, she wasnt home today, but i left a nice bottle and a flyer i made up with pictures and such for her in her mailbox.

House two... I had found two big farm dumps this summer with materials spanning 100+ years piled in layers.  Got a few common pontils and an old SW Bell smooth base out of the bottom of one pit and a ton of other stuff like a whole puce drakes, and other goodies.  The wife of the household was home and was very fascinated to hear about the hobby.  She even let me in the foyer!  I offered her a bottle and she appreciated the gesture but didnt want it lol.  Her husband happens to be an antique furniture restorer and she said that he would most likely love to speak with me soon when he is home during the day or on a weekend. I also brought up the name on an old cast iron property sign i dug there and that same person had lived in that house...which confirmed that the dump i dug was from thst house.  I will definitely be going back and i gave her my contact info on the flyer.  Fingers crossed!  

Cool man thats the way to do it! [;)]" You don't know what the answer will be unless you ask"
I just got permission to that lot with four 1870 houses on it.I was eyeing that place up for a while.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: peejrey

I have to ask this question:
Has anyone ever been turned away after explaining the fact that you would be digging in 100 year old poop? Say maybe the lady of the house would be to disgusted by someone digging up that kind of stuff in there front or back yard?
Just wondering......[;)]

Yep that's part of the game,the vacuum cleaner sales man didn't quit when he got the door slammed in his face 50 times[8D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ballyhooligan

I used to get permission to metal detect all the time when I was a kid by knocking on doors, but I didn't look even remotely threatening... and now that I live outside of Baltimore, I just don't see people opening their door to me... but I'll give it the old college try.

Hey if they let me,im sure they will let you in [8D]

82DC584293A34B6192C6DA5D3CD0FF8A.jpg

Attachments

• 82DC584293A34B6192C6DA5D3CD0FF8A.jpg
    82DC584293A34B6192C6DA5D3CD0FF8A.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 48

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jvharp

Cool, I hope it works out for you. I still to this day have never had the nerve to ask anyone permission to dig in their yard, field or otherwise. So far I just stay on property that is family owned or owned by friends whom I know well enough to know it's OK for me to dig.

You have to expand man.I don't like knocking on doors either,but I love digging bottles from privy's and that love gives me strength and drive to knock on any door that has the potential to hold a old pit.If the pope had and old house I would knock on his door and ask.[:D]

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

Chris,

Did you see the Dr. Driscoll's from Baltimore that Ratzilla posted? Great website!

Ken,

I bought it from him at the Baltimore show last week It had a different lip then the one I already had.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960