Asking permissions!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
I have to say, people in general are weird... Very rarely do you knock on a door and have some suit answer it with a clip board... Most people I've encountered are, well weird... And don't give a dang about you digging in their yard! I think curiosity is king, and they tend to be interested in what your doing... It's kinda out of the norm... Seems a lot of people like making a new friend to talk to for a bit too...

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ballyhooligan

I'm kind of terrified to try to knock on doors to get permission.. I'm big, tattooed, and scary looking... even though I'm a really nice guy. Have you had any success mailing letters first to kind of break the ice before doing a face to face?

Face to face is the best,phone calls or letters make it to easy to say no to,

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ballyhooligan

I'm kind of terrified to try to knock on doors to get permission.. I'm big, tattooed, and scary looking... even though I'm a really nice guy. Have you had any success mailing letters first to kind of break the ice before doing a face to face?

Meet Rocky x Pagan,we never met this guy until I asked him if we could dig holes in his yard[8D] Never judge a book by its cover,I learned that even more in this hobby.
I asked a lot of people that looked like they would rip off your head and spit in your neck,but was surprised when they said "yeah sure no problem" you just never know until you ask.Its going to be a yes or a no,whatever it is,there is going to be another door to knock on.

D1E96884D82D46688AE10FA70775BE2B.jpg

Attachments

• D1E96884D82D46688AE10FA70775BE2B.jpg
    D1E96884D82D46688AE10FA70775BE2B.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 43

KBbottles

Reaction score
Chris,

So glad that it was you that got the bottle from Tom! Awesome!! I was at the dig where it came from.

Rick,

You're posts and knowledge are absolutely inspiring and part of what got me motivated to just go ask. persistence and networking are key in this hobby.

KBbottles

Reaction score
A couple quic questions:

1.) What do you do when the place you are looking to dig at is being rented?

2.) Has anyone ever had historical societies get in their way?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Quasi-permission from renters sometimes works OK, but it's best to contact the owner. Historical Societies have no business interfering with a bottle dig; it's not what their purpose or intent is as an organization.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: KBbottles

A couple quic questions:

1.)  What do you do when the place you are looking to dig at is being rented?

2.)  Has anyone ever had historical societies get in their way?

Offer the guy a few packs of smokes or a case of beer,if they drink and smoke that is.
It has worked for us many times."Anything for a privy"[8D]

Cal is right historical societies have no say what's in peoples yards,not yet anyway[8|]

David Fertig

Reaction score
In PA renters have the authority to permit you to dig. However, what's best for one house, might not be for the next. My buddy Dave finally asked a landlord about digging one of his (landowners) properties, not expecting a yes. The guy probably owns 15 houses in a nice old town. Well, we now have permissions for some of them - the ones with no grass and lower rents. Keep it neat and clean and we should get them all. The first one was posted on here in the fall under, "Would you dig this?" It was a double. Next up is the next double beside here. Then possibly the next double, however, he does not own the end unit and there is a fence right over the center of the pit.

If I was in a town not local to me and I only had a day or two, I'd most likely try house to house. Pick the best looking yards, knock ,explain, dig or repeat steps 1 and 2.

If you and the landlord are local, I'd start there. Probably.

ballyhooligan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W
Meet Rocky x Pagan,we never met this guy until I asked him if we could dig holes in his yard[8D] Never judge a book by its cover,I learned that even more in this hobby.
I asked a lot of people that looked like they would rip off your head and spit in your neck,but was surprised when they said "yeah sure no problem" you just never know until you ask.Its going to be a yes or a no,whatever it is,there is going to be another door to knock on.

I actually think I'd be more comfortable knocking on his door.. it's the prim and proper folks that scare me, :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960