Auburn, California 49er Show/ December

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone from the forum, except Barbara, at the show. Sales were OK, but not what I'd call brisk. I did about a third of what went last year. "Obamacide" has definitely hit and folks are saving their hard earned funds for necessities. Small inexpensive bottles like pharmacies were the bulk of my sales. Only one "big ticket" item sold, but only because the price was right.

Lordbud

Reaction score
Before leaving Friday for Auburn I spent 45 minutes looking for the trader I was going to bring along. The thing wasn't in the box it should have been in. Never found it.
Tried to get up there for early-lookers but even without many slowdowns we didn't arrive until 6.30pm Auburn time. It was quite foggy so we stopped in at the local Round Table for a pizza and a pitcher.
After a bad night of sleeping on the floor we got up had breakfast and made it to the show by 9.20am. I've never seen so many Washington state bottles, Marysville, Sacto, Stockton, Yreka and assorted other California druggists. A mere handful of SF druggists throughout the two buildings. The usual jakes, a handful of Wm. J. Bryans including a true cobalt example, various pricey coffins and pumpkinseeds.
Ended up with a damaged Ensign Saloon coffin flask for very cheap, a Mayfield tooled crown for cheap and a label & contents John Devine SF druggist for a Lincoln.
Spent less than $50 on bottles total. Also found several hooks at the show and at an antique store in another Gold Rush town on the way back down Highway 49. A fun overnighter road trip.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Louie and I were looking for you but you never passed by my tables, or didn't stop if you did. I had two sizes of green Shumates, and a few other SFs in a box under the table.

ilovejake24

Reaction score
I made a phone call to my father (who was buying for me) last night to see what was available at the show and got some quick notes to add. I heard that a green early varient Renz's and a green no circle IXL traded hands privately. I was able to pick up (through my father) an amber OGW demijohn, 8 jamaica gingers, an applied top Thos Hall's square, 4 different colored E.Frese extracts, and a few other odds and ends. A good friend of mine got a Henley's Celery Beef and Iron applied top square for 150 bucks! That was a pretty good deal. Were you able to find anything for the collection Mike? How did your digging partner C**** do as far as sales? I'm really sorry i missed the show this year[:mad:], but my job requires me to be elsewhere. I alway look forward to Auburn, just looks like it will have to be next year. Mike how has the duck hunting been?

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I had a super crude, gnarly Henley's CB&I but I wouldn't come off $800 so it didn't sell. I only picked up a Williams, CA, 1910 calendar plate and a Davis, CA, bar token. No Cutters that I didn't already have. I sold a KILLER applied Thos. Hall's for $750.

No duck hunting quite yet. The rice was just cut, our field is flooded, but the stubble is too high. Hopefully, the stomper has been over it by now. Deeks are out there, we just need the rice stubble flattened.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Mmmmm....Round Table Pizza. That was THE spot for me and my crew back in the days. Italian Garlic Supreme was our pizza of choice(Jim and I could polish off a large by ourselves and then some). I make that one of my things to do every time I go visit back there.

Hope everyone had a good time at the show. Wish I could have been there.

nhglass

Reaction score
Barbara and I had a lot of fun. I didn't find anything to add to the collection but Barbara found a few Medicines. I sold some East Coast Glass as well. All in all a great time. I also helped with security as I belong to the 49er Bottle Club that puts this event on [:)]

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
This was an amazing show as usual, but with a much larger selection of quality western glass than I have seen in a long time. A highlight was picking up my two copies of Warren Friedrich's superb new book on Western glassmaking. I cannot put it down! Truly an important work.
It was great to see friends from all over the West, and even Tennessee, and the mid-west. It seemed that deals were happening everywhere, and some of the great bottles I was able to see were; INCREDIBLE black glass Cassin's Grape brandy Bitters, a Chalmer's Catawba Wine Bitters,three Lacour's Bitters, a green Renz's Herb Bitters, a green small size Rosenbaum's Bitters, several Henley's, colored Walker's Vinegar Bitters.
There were top Western whiskeys, and medicines. I did not see any rare blob top sodas, but there were a few of the more often seen colored pontiled S.F. blobs.
I was able to add the green Dr. Renz's Herb Bitters, a GREEN small circle Miller's Extra flask, and a super rare Dr. AH Fungs, Great Chinese remedy, S.F.

All in all, it was one of those shows where the money was gone long before the good glass was!

Westernglassaddict

Lordbud

Reaction score
4 different colored E.Frese extracts

Whew! Sounds like all the good stuff comes out on Friday and then it's pretty much gone by Saturday AM. Mike I saw your table with the calendar plates and the Sacto druggists, but you happened to be away or conversating when I came by. Must have made the circuit five times total randomly through both rooms. Some sellers had their wares priced to sell from the get go; others wouldn't deal at all. One of these years I'll have to try to get there on Friday...

BarbaraInCalif

Reaction score
FYI...I'm not the Barbara hangin' with nhglass. My husband doesn't trust me to go to the bottle shows alone; not sure if it's to keep my spending in line or he's afraid I'll try to run off with the guy with the best glass! I've learned to do all my buying while he's sleeping in the car so he can't keep track of what I've gotten. Friday he surprised me by coming back into the show early. Fortunately I was pretty much done buying by then so he helped carry my boxes out: 13 blob top California beers to add to the growing collection. My favorites are a gorgeous mid-amber bulge neck Sisson quart and a beautiful Geo Braun (#26) quart.

If anyone has some reasonably priced California beers for sale that are in good shape please let me know!

Barbara

PS It's good to see that my spell-check finally works here.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman