Auburn Toy Truck

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kwalker

Reaction score
My dump from yesterday dried up pretty quick. No finds for the day from there. So I went for a walk next door to behind my neighbor's house and started finding prohabition era ("Federal law prohibits the sale and reuse of this bottle" Prohibition?) flasks and bottles. Under a few sticks I found this cute thing. The sides say "Auburn safe play Toys" and "Auburn Telephone" so this is what appears to be a telephone maintanence truck. It's made from moulded plastic and I thought these trucks were made in cast iron as well? Can anyone give me a little more information on the company, the truck itself, and possible value? It's a little crooked and warped because of the years in the dump and both axles are broken but the wheels are still on there.

auburn003.jpg

auburn002.jpg

Poison_Us

Reaction score
It sure is. I grew up just outside of Auburn..........California. So probably not the same place.
Here is a look at old town.... Makes me a little homesick to brows the pix. The most recognizable building in the area is the old firehouse. Some artist created a painting of old town some time ago and I stumbled upon it in a gallery in the Rushmore Mall in Rapid City. I spotted the old firehouse from across the room. I wanted to buy it, just because.

http://www.oldtownauburnca.com/list.php?cat=5&sub=5

Oh, and this is where a good portion of Phenomenon was filmed. Opening shot is Sacramento street. You could see all filming stuff from the interstate. After shooting I was in some of the shops and many had pictures of the actors and such hanging in their shops.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Kenneth,

I really like that truck. Great recovery, and in amazing shape, considering it's previous resting place.

There's a great article on The Auburn Rubber Co. and their toys @ Toy Collector Magazine.

2008_05_lead_auburn.jpg

There's a lesser write up @ Wiki-ville.

ar_polcyl.jpg
From.

The "Federal Law Forbids..." language is post Prohibition, (1932-1964) and what I consider an in ground dating signal.

kwalker

Reaction score
Thanks for those links surfaceone, they really helped and so did your help on the bottles too. This helps put an approximate age on the truck. I think the model of the truck is a '54 Ford F350. What do you think? This is a similar model of the truck outfitted with road-railer wheels.

43434323089586.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter