Baltimore bound this morning, unhappy at first but then.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I made the 2 and a half hour run to Baltimore to buy a group of bottles from a guy down there who dug up a street here in Elizabeth NJ some years ago, in the ad it pictured about 7 or 8 stoneware bottles along with the large Green Saratoga Springs bottle with the large S and the Empire with the large E on it and it also said he had many more bottles. We agreed on a price and down I drove at 6:30 today, when I get there he says "Oh no, the stoneware bottles are $100 each and I gave the 2 big green bottles with the letters on them to my friend for his collection along with one of the stoneware bottles".....At this stage I am fuming and I think the guy got a little worried I might blow my top right there in his den. So I go thru the 5 or 6 boxes he has there and find two Newark Squats, and 4 Elizabeth Pony's along with various Med's, 2 inks, a nice Rumford Chemical Works in Teal with Patent date of 1868 on the bottom, Teal Buffalo Lithia Water, Dr. McMunns Elixir of Opium and a bunch of other embossed stuff. I also got a box of 24 Baltimore embossed crown top clear and aqua, and a box mixed of Baltimore blob top & crown tops in Amber, when I asked what he wanted for the 3 boxes I was now wanting he made me a fair offer but I was still so pissed off that he unknowingly pulled a bait & switch on me that I offered him less than half the asking price and I picked up 2 of the boxes and just walked them right to my car, when I got back to the door he was standing there with the third box.

I handed him the money and said thanx and I was on my way home where I was supposed to stop in Middletown NJ and pick up 200 or so more bottles but to my surprise the batteries had died in my phone and I had no way to contact the seller so I am going in the morning to pick them up, here is a shot of just a few of the good ones before I put them in the cleaning pot.....I'm glad I kept my cool because it could have been a very bad situation for a guy my size to blow his top that far from home, plus the poor guy told me he got so many calls he didn't remember to take the time to update the ad and let me know which bottles were already gone. The funny thing is his buddy who wanted the 3 bottles mentioned for his collection has them for sale on e-bay right now, some friend he turned out to be. I guess in the long run it all turned out for the best because I may not have gone had he told me about the 2 Large Green Mineral waters and the prices he wanted for the stonewares, they should all be clean enough to put on e-bay by weeks end and if you see something you're interested in just let me know, as always I will take care of the Great People here if they see something they like instead of making a few more pennies on e-bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!! More pic's to follow after the cleaning, the Teal Buffalo Lithia is soaking now so it's not pictured but it is a beauty..,...

Jim

balto1.jpg
[/IMG]

balto.jpg
[/IMG]

sandhollow

Reaction score
Man I would not have been very pleased. I'm almost sure he still had the others when he told you about them and worked out a price then his "friend" came and took what he wanted. Well at least you got some nice ones there, so its not a total loss of time. They will look awesome all cleaned up.

epackage

Reaction score
Thanx sandhollow, I got about 100 bottles or so total so I did pretty well, I was looking up some of them on e-bays completed sales so making money on the deal will be no problem and it was a nice ride and the weather was good so it was all for the best.....Jim

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

PM time..[;)]
Keep those fingers and toes crossed for tomorrow, you may benefit more than I do....LOL

Jim

Reaction score
Nice score, Jim. You did a good job of keeping it civil, I would have been pretty p*ssed as well after making that long trip.

I gave a few decent poison bottles and a nice piece of stoneware to a "buddy" once, only to see him turn around and eBay them [:mad:]. It wasn't a lot of money (less than $100 for everything), but it's just a really slimy thing to do. I got more than even buying some good bottles from him cheap, so it's OK now. Plus, I learned a valuable lesson about digging and dealing with guys who are all about quick money and nothing else- Just don't do it! ~Jim

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Jim

Nice score, Jim. You did a good job of keeping it civil, I would have been pretty p*ssed as well after making that long trip.

I gave a few decent poison bottles and a nice piece of stoneware to a "buddy" once, only to see him turn around and eBay them [:mad:]. It wasn't a lot of money (less than $100 for everything), but it's just a really slimy thing to do. I got more than even buying some good bottles from him cheap, so it's OK now. Plus, I learned a valuable lesson about digging and dealing with guys who are all about quick money and nothing else- Just don't do it!  ~Jim
Well as it turns out the guy didn't "give" them to a friend he sold them to someone he didn't know and failed to let me know before I drove all the way down there, considering what I got and the price I paid I am very pleased with the deal, getting more than 100 bottles for what I paid has me smiling from ear to ear....Being calm when you're 6'-3" 280lbs. is a must alot of the time...LOL...Thanx again

epackage

Reaction score
It is great Div, unfortunately I saw one sell about 2 weeks ago for $15, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I'm just happy you got it for me and it displays great !!!!! The Buffalo Lithia is already gone, shipping it out this week to another member here, I will keep you in mind if I come across another, I posted pic's in Buffalo Hunters post in the "before 1900" forum...
Thanx again,
Jim

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty