Been dump digging, now how do you find the privy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RHach

Reaction score
I have been digging in a turn of the century (1900's that is) large dump. When I was about 10 yrs old (i'm 35 now) a neighbor took me to a "hidden treasure trove" which is a large dump that closed in the early 1900's. I have dug there for years. Part of the area is a large golf course, but about 1/4 of the dump is in the woods, which was never developed. I never have been stopped from digging there, except the odd looks I have got through the years when I emerge from the woods onto the course with shovels and buckets full of bottles. The area is so vast that I still come out of there each time with sacks full, although now I find lots of duplicates. (I am looking for a digging partner). Now I would like to get into privy digging. Near my home in the woods I discovered some 130 year old ruins, undisturbed. Where do I locate where the privy was? How many feet from the house? And in what direction? I know that they had to have dumped back there as well, but I have to figure out where. I researched the area and discovered that there also was a mill back there further in the woods by a creek in the early 1830's. Like I mentioned, the area is untouched by any diggers. The area is on a flood plain , so there is no nearby development. I just need a crash course on where the privy would be.....
Drop me a line as well if you find yourself in Eastern Iowa and want to go home with some bottles. That old dump is ripe with lots of embossed bottles (that's all I ever bothered keeping) Cork top Bromo-Selzers, cobalt poison bottles, and cure-alls I have found in the double to triple digits. Let me know if you need an instant collection! I never knew that there were so many bottle collectors as "sick" as me!!!

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Can you determine the front from the rear of the house. If you can then start at the rear and work it in a straight line either across the yard or lengthwise. Try to poke holes with a proble methodically. Don't leave any of the yard unprobed. I always look for a lilac bush or a fruit tree of some type. For whatever reason there is usually a privy close by.

epgorge

Reaction score
Up in these parts the privy is usually attached to an out building, or right were an out building once was. Look for a little indent in the ground. It won't be far from the back side of the house where ever it is. Try sniffing the air.

Ep

RHach

Reaction score
I will have to pace it out in the Spring. What about rods I have heard about? Is this something you can buy? And how does it work?
The ruins of the house is by itself. About 150 feet away is the ruins of a barn; just its foundation remains, which is about a story high and made from limestone. There are ruins of numerous outbuildings around where the barn was, along with a well, which was lined with brick and limestone. Nearby is what appears to be the pumphouse. The area is wooded, but about every other year the area floods, so mainly I have to deal with tall prairie grass and mature trees. I know with all the activity that took place there (the mill being nearby) that they had to have had a dump as well. How far were these usually from the house and buildings? I cannot image that they would have hauled the trash far. Eastern Iowa was of course populated by pioneers in the east before the western half, and Iowa City originally was the capitol in the east. U.S. Survey maps show many dwellings around the mill in the early 1830's, which is impressive to see so much in the area being that Iowa would not become a state until 1846. The oldest dump I have dug in was circa 1890's-1905. Here and there I have dug older bottles (1870's) around construction sites, but this is the first I have an area all to myself. I just don't know where to start. Was it common practice to have dumped in a privy? Or was it just a "by chance" situation? If it wasn't -10 below zero right now I would be out there. The spot is only about 2 miles from my home. I really want to experience an "older period" dig....The excitement is killing me!!!

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
First thing I'd do before the ground thaws is, like the other fellow said, check for low spots in the rear of the house. I'd also check the mill site out extra carefully. I was told the mill race is the first place to check around an early mill. When they would go to steam power around 1860-70 they would fill in the race. Look around large stone walls that have been filled in.Also at the mill site look for sink holes which maybe a privy or well. I'd probably even want to metal detect around the place if possible. It sounds like you have a nice place to scratch around for a while.

druggistnut

Reaction score
<What about rods I have heard about? Is this something you can buy? And how does it work?>

The probing won't be until spring, so let's deal with what you can do, right now.
Get a reasonably cheap, but good (like a used Garrett 250, on this site, other TH'ing sites or that BAY place) that is capable of running in all-metal mode.
Go out behind the barn, at any slope you can find. They would dump as close to the place as possible, without the trash being in the way. The "foodstuffs" would go to a hog or chickens, so there was no smell of rotting stuff. Remember, there wasn't a ton of stuff for garbage, as there is today. People in rural areas tended to reuse and reuse, compared to folks in cities, who had more capital, and hence ability to "squander."
Set up the detector, per user instructions. Then, you want to run it in all-metal mode, about ONE FOOT off the ground. You are looking for a scatter of metal over an area. If you run it near the ground, you will get horseshoes, harness parts, etc...
Since you can't probe or dig effectively right now, you need to record the spots. Draw a paper map. If you use orange spray paint, police tape or something else, others will obviously see it.
Go to any area within 2000 feet or so that even LOOKS like there might be a raised area/bump or slope. Hit these areas. Next, run along the exterior stone walls of the barn foundation or any other buildings, especially if they have even the slightest downward slope.
You should have some good areas by then (this should take several days, if you do it correctly). The next thing to do while waiting for the thaw, is the most important.
Get on the computer and learn. Go to websites like www.fohbc.com (The Federation of Historical Bottle Collectors) or any others that folks here give you. Ask and I will give you a multitude. LEARN. Read and read more. You will find most of the answers to your questions. If you finally can't find a answer to something (when you visit the sites, there will be links on bottle probes, how to build/use them, how to age/value bottles, etc......), ask us or people on the site you are visiting. Anyone who truly loves the hobby will be glad to help. Just make an effort to learn a little on your own, too.
If you find a bottle club in your area, by all means, join it. Don't be eager to tell people in the club about "your" site. You could end up going back there to the Mill and finding pieces of glass and pottery, scattered. Be patient and you will eventually learn who to trust. The other club members will eventually let you know who rips off the other members. Make sure you are getting the same info from a number of people, not just one or two. It will take a while to find the "right" digging partner.
When you get the areas mapped out, let us know.
Bill

RHach

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help and advice. I went out to the site today. The weather is brutal to say the least, but I did have a discovery!!! A groundhog had dug quite an impressive hole near by the ruins of the barn. With the snow on the ground it was easy to see. I was half frozen and was ready to go back, but I decided to look at the hole anyway. I hiked down there and to my surprise there was some pieces of glass. The one shard was very dark glass. It first appeared to be black but when I picked it up in the light it was actually very dark green. There was also some bits of metal, but nothing left you could place it to. I wanted to dig more, but had the vision of the critter coming out of the hole and a "Steven King" ending of my life happening out there on Super Bowl Sunday! I scraped one more time and I about had a heart attack when part of a small bottle became exposed. I picked it up and rubbed off as much of the frozen dirt that I could, and headed for home.
I washed it up....the bottle is clear/aqua colored, 5 inches tall. It's a small medicine bottle and embossed on it is the following:
"Mrs Winslow's /Soothing Syrup/Curtis & Perkins/Proprietors". The writing is vertical on the bottle. The bottle overall is very primitive from the early 1900's bottles I have dug. I tried to post a picture of it, but I am new to the site and for some reason I can't get it to post. If anyone can date this bottle that would be great. I have a long task of getting ready for my spring dig, but to find this in the middle of winter in a groundhog hole is a strong sign to me that there is alot to be found!
This site and all the stories I have been reading is getting me excited to get digging again! Any more advice to help me out I cannot thank enough!
I will keep you updated!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Does the Mrs Winslow's Soothing Syrup have a mold line running straight across the base? If it does it’s an older bottle probably dating to the 1860s. What state are you from? Looks like you might have a good spot to dig at.

~~Tom

RHach

Reaction score
Do you mean on the very bottom? If so, the bottom of the bottle has what appears to be a rough looking "8" embossed in it. There is a mold line running up the side of the bottle, but it stops about 3/4 the way up the bottle. Lots of bubbles in the glass and imperfections as well.
I am located in Eastern Iowa.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau