Before & After

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Diego916

Reaction score
Hey all, new here but I know a little about HF(aq) from my chemistry in college.

First, it eats glass. It one of the ONLY acids that will, but in consumer products it is rarely strong enough to do so quickly, though any concentration will.

Second, one of the first things us chem students were required to do before working with it in the lab was to read an article about a man who had been working carelessly with rust-remover, which contained HF, and was hospitalized when he began to experience incredible pain throughout his body. You see, HF is not as corrosive to tissue as, say, nitric acid (HNO3), which will turn your skin into brown goo, but the ions of HF do penetrate tissue and attack minerals and free mineral ions in blood, bone, etc. In layman's terms, you will die painfully without injections of aqueous calcium and other minerals if you don't take care!

On the bright side, gloves will protect you and sodium bi-carb (baking soda) dissolved in water and kept in a spray bottle near by will neutralize the acid if sprayed on a spill or accident.

I've previously read in a book on restoring antique glass about the use of HF, but I have until now been too cautious to try it. Thanks for the before and afters! I think I may just give it a go!

idigjars

Reaction score
Chemicals are tricky. Always use lots of caution if you attempt using any chemicals and always make sure you are not in a confined space. I would recommend "free" tumbling stoppers, etc. Use a plastic jar, fill it with copper, your stoppers, some water, cleaning powder of your choice and put it in a tube for a few days and tumble away. Good luck. [:)]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Gunsmoke,

No comment on cleaning just a question about the stoppers....a friend loaned me several of his collection of stoppers almost identical to yours..and since I am not familier with them..are they worth anything on the market to collectors of such? I told him I would ask here on the forum and I happened on your pics first....he also loaned me a 'fired' and 'glazed' procilian(?)(sp) whiskey (I think) bottle with the name of the company, "...reversed embossed on it...I am trying to post a picture but I am not so good at this computor stuff...I am trying to borrow a digital cam to get some pics of it...the names on it are...can't read first line...not embedded deep enough..starts with "GITREOUS (fades out....) then next line "J. Bourne & Son,"
next line..."patenteer"...next line..."DENBY POTTERY,"..next line..."NEAR DERBY"..then a long "scratched" line...then the next line reads...."P. & J. ARNOLD"...next line...."LONDON"...I know my discription is kinda weak but that's the best I can do..oh yeah...it's brown glazed, round(about 3 inch diameter, about 7" tall, top two inches tapered, with thick cork opening (duh!) Very heavy bottle...best I can do until I get a pic of it..any ideas anyone?

Thanks..The Doc...[X(]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Doc, I see those stoppers on Ebay all the time for next to nothing. ( 5 or 10 stoppers for an opening bid of $ 2.00) The problem with people buying them is that each stopper was ground to fit a particular bottle. You would have to get lucky for a stopper to match up properly with a bottle it was not made for. I keep all the ones I find because I have gotten lucky on a few occasions. Happy Diggin, Kelley

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Thanks Gunsmoke...

At least I have an answer for my friend...some of these that he has look like crystal, and one looks like a many facetted(sp) old fashioned door knob with a long stopper and one looks like a large diamond, I think those are decanter stoppers..really pretty...still trying to figure out how to post a picture of them....[>:][&:][8D]

The doc...[X(]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn