Best Bottle Shows for ACL Sodas???????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thesodafizz

Reaction score
Nashville is a good idea for a centralized location. I don't know anyone there, tho, that could do legwork - settling things up. I know one year when Nashville was stilling having a show, they picked a weekend (far in advance, I am sure) that ended up being the same weekend as a big Vols game. We spent two hours trying to find a motel that had a vacancy (at any price) and took the first (way overpriced) one we found. I never imagined all the motels would be booked, so didn't get a room in advance. So, from that "lesson" - if we decide on Nashville, we'd need to pick a date when nothing else like that is going on.....hehe.

Fairgrounds, is good. So, I'll keep checking to see what they charge to use their building(s).

Nashville has lots of things to do besides the show. So, it's good. I had also thought of Knoxville, altho there''s not a big attraction there, there is in Pigeon Forge, which is close enough by. Matter of fact, if I could find a location we could afford there, they'd be plenty to do - but everything there is so expensive anyway. (I know the Coke people used to set up in their rooms at one of the Holiday Inns there, and do room hopping - but I heard the motel decided they didn't like it and would not let them come back.) I have friends in that area - I will still check with them and see if they know something, or somewhere, I don 't. Johnson City doesn't have anything else to do, but have friends who manage the fairgrounds there and could get it very reasonable, I think. But their show is in May, and if we did a show there in June - it could interfere with theirs (unless we have it in conjunction with their show - but school's not out yeat in early May). Asheville is always good, as Pat says. There's Biltmore, Smileys fleamarket and other stuff, plus I am right here to arrange everything, if necessary. Plus Buren would give us a great deal on the motels. But it seems the club here is having trouble getting a location for their own show. (I know the insulator people have had a tailgater here before too.) Raliegh is also good, but might be a bit east coast for our midwest collectors, altho I might be able to manage to eek out a portion at the Tulsa show for the midwest people, as they are at that show anyway. In Atlanta, there's the Aquarium and Coke Museum + whatever else they have - but it may be too much south for the more northern of us. But Richard Mix has just opened a huge building there....so, it may be possible to talk him into something. I plan to see what facilities I can come up with at each location to see what works the best price-wise as well as location.

Good idea on the late start-up on the first day. The Baltimore show has early adm & set-up on Sat. beginning at 1:30pm. Mansfield's begins at 2pm. I remember seeing others listed in the pm hours as well. So, no problem there, either. I am not a morning person, altho I can "do" mornings when I have to - it's just that I run on auto-pilot until the rest of me wakes up. We could begin set-up and early adm. around 12 or 1 and run it until 5 or 6 or so. Have a PSBCA meeting with a dinner - and awards following. Then begin the gen adm part of the show at 9 the next morning and go to until 2 or 3 - then pack up. That would give everyone the afternoon and evening to get home. If we manage to arrange educational seminars, they could be the morning before early adm/setup, like the FOHBC does theirs. The FOHBC extends their early adm/setup to the next morning as well, say from 7-9, but not everyone comes in that setup the day before until 9, so not all tables are available to those "late" early buyers.

If we use the same facility for the dinner and show, like Baltimore, Mansfield and others do - it shouldn't effect costs, as we are there anyway. Depending on where we end up chosing for the show, would decide where the food would come from. Menu for the dinner? The Gray show rents a huge grill and does chicken, hot dogs and burgers - with all the trimmings, potato salad, chips, etc. Mansfield does fried chicken, cole slaw, baked beans, rolls and dessert. Baltimore does snack-type foods, like chps, pretzels, veggies and dip, cheese and stuff like that. I want a proper "dinner" - not snacks - but what, we'll see were we end up first and then I'll check on food options/catering.

I guess, first comes the location. If any of you are in one of the locations mentioned, or have one of your own not mentioned, and want to check with the fairgrounds (or whatever meeting place you have locally that may be affordable as well as big enough for us), let me know the location, price if you know it - or who to contact to find out, and I'll get started on figuring out a location. I know that the original York show was in a field - as well as the Keene show (with an adjoining barn if it rains), but I think we can manage something with a roof on it. :)

Anything I find out, or do, I'll keep you posted here.

Thanks guys, for your input. It helps alot. Keep them coming!

K

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Why we'll just have it at the Biltmore Estate, add a little class to our lowly passion. Check this place out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cOCeWpCjw Everyone needs to go there at least once, we go every couple of years, when ya got a place like that "You got enough money to burn a wet mule." Ashville in the fall seems like a good time for a show, ride the BRP for the color.

T D

Reaction score
we could all set up on the dining room table[8D][8D] My wife can remember going as a young girl (early 70's) when you could drive your car up to the front door and park right out in the grass. One of my best memories was when our son was young we kept telling him "don't be disappointed, the house looks bigger in the pictures", and the look on his face when we turned the corner (after the walk thru the woods from parking) and there was the Biltmore house. It was priceless...If you're in the area you should make plans, pictures don't do it justice. Speaking of that I'll hunt up a pic from a couple of years ago.

T D

Reaction score
Christmas 2007

8119BB988B4C4B53906F742B30762006.jpg

Attachments

• 8119BB988B4C4B53906F742B30762006.jpg
    8119BB988B4C4B53906F742B30762006.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 80

preditor

Reaction score
To ACLS: I was looking at your homepage link I noticed I have a 7-up like the ones you said were rare and hard to find out of the six pictured together mine is like the one in the middle it has the lady on it and the painted 7-up logo on the neck. any idea what it might be worth. and how do i tell the age.. thanks, Ted

glass man

Reaction score
THIS THIS IS JUST A TEST RUN WHY NOT HAVE IT WHERE WE HAVE THE BOTTLE SHOW EACH YEAR IN ROME GA. . THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN THERE KNOWS IT CAN TAKE ON A FAIR AMOUNT OF DEALERS AND IT WOULD BE CHEAPER THEN THE LARGER PLACES YA'LL ARE TALKING BOUT.MANY MOTELS/EATING PLACES. JAMIE

acls

Reaction score
Preditor- The bottle that you are referring to in my picture is a 7up bubble girl with 8 bubbles on the main label and 7 bubbles on the neck label. They ususally go for about $15-$40 depending on condition and how badly someone wants one.

It's nice to see all the interest in getting a show together.

celerycola

Reaction score
Buffalo would be close for the Canadian Collectors but there's still a chance of snow in June[;)]

June would be too early for some. Last day of school here is June 26th. I know school starts some places the second week in August. If the building is air-conditioned the heat wouldn't be a problem.

For years the Nashville TN Bottle Club had their show at the Fairgrounds the same weekend as the flea market. It was a great show for bottles and for all the other things bottle collectors seem to collect.

Be sure it doesn't conflict with another bottle show date.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28