Beware The Evil Potstone!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
I picked this up at an auction today, the price was right and I liked the bottle, it has some wear on the sides that made me think that it was a good original one. It was in mint condition except for a large potstone in the side, but it looked harmless enough. The bottle is cased glass, pontilled, with a milk glass quilted pattern with a clear layer of glass over that one, and that is where the potstone was trapped.
I guess it wanted to get free, because when I got home there was a large crack starting at the EVIL potstone and extending 1" towards the base and 5" up to the base of the neck. I`m confident that within a couple days it will go all the way up the neck. Don`t you just hate it when this happens? I packed the bottle well for the trip home, maybe it hit some kind of temperature differential when I carried it outside. It`s a good thing I like the bottle, I had thought of reselling it but I guess it`s found a home now.
What I`d like to know is can anyone tell me anything about it? I`m curious about it`s age and origins. It definitely looks to be from the early or mid 1800`s, but I`m not sure. I know that there`s people on here who know more about this than I do.

262036B949144184A706D0F07608F432.jpg

Attachments

• 262036B949144184A706D0F07608F432.jpg
    262036B949144184A706D0F07608F432.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 70

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Bill that is a sad one. I'd try to put some clear nail polish on the potstone. But is a neat piece of pattern glass blowing. RED Matthews

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Luckily this potstone wasn`t THAT big. I still like the bottle, it`s an interesting piece, you can actually see what looks like the first ground pontil from when they blew the first quilted layer through the second clear layer. Not too many bottles have 2 pontil marks! Or one that tries to take half of the crucible with it as the gather`s being taken out of the pot! If I lay it on it`s good side, it displays well, as they say.

tigue710

Reaction score
Ouch... Sorry Bill, it's still a sweet bottle but I too know the sting of the potstone... I had an andersons home brewed ale I dug that a potstone turned from a 3000 dollar bottle to a 200 dollar bottle after having it home for two days...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter