Bitter's bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scduckett

Reaction score
OK, all you old-timers (and new, if you know)--why did the producers of all the different bitters use such fancy bottles? I'm sure in the distant past I've seen these bottles on display and thought they were some gaudy liquer bottle or "commemorative"
"collector's" edition of something. If bitters was a type of cure-all (which is what it seems to have been), was this just an advertising gimmick? And why are bitters bottles so sought after? Is it because of their unique designs? (Smart advertising execs back then, if so--wonder if their heirs get royalties [:D]) Sure do appreciate the wisdom on this site[:D]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Susan,
The word " Bitters " was taken from England where a tax had been levied on alcohol. To avoid the tax , certain clever Englishmen added bitter flavorings to the alcohol they bottled and promoted the new products as having healing and curing capabilities. These productsa were labeled " Bitters " and classified as a tax-free medicine. By the 19th Century , Bitters had become a popular local product in America. It was usually of such high alcohol content that the claims that one using the product felt healthier after each sip was almost true . Although Alcoholism had become a problem and social drnking was frowned upon by most proper Victorians , the soothing bitters medicine found wide acceptance. At this time there were no taxes on Medicines and no laws on ingredients or claims made by the advertisers about there products.
Most Bitters date from 1862 , the year of the Revenue Act tax on liquor , until 1906 , the year the Food and Drug Act placed restrictions on the sale of Bitters as a medicinal cure .
Bitters Bottles are highly sought after because of the great array of colors , sizes , and shapes they can be found in. And also because of the interesting history of Bitters. They come in many figurals shapes , Pigs , Ear of corn , Indian maiden , Pineapple , Cabins , Fish , Barrels , ect. And they come in too many different colors to list !
Bitters came in so many different colors and shapes to draw attention to there product. It was a very competitive market and anything that would draw attention to your product ( such as shape or color ) was a big plus and would hopefully boost sales.
I hope this answered most of your questions about Bitters , Brian

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
RE: Bitter's bottles description and birthday

I doubt your reading this. According to your profile you were 4 when you posted last but today your 6 so happy birthday Susan.
Anyway, Brian had a great description of bitters so I thought I could bring it up and people could re-enjoy it too.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen