Black Ales?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
I just bought to bottles that I can only describe as black glass beers. They both look like 3 piece mold both with a crude applied lip. They are very heavy. The first one is more olive green then olive amber. I thought it had a lip chip but its actually a dip in the lip. The seams disappear shortly after the leave the shoulder into the neck. Then about an inch below the shoulder the seam circles the bottle. The air bubbles are few but they are large. The lip is crude and resembles one that I saw that was described as an early pontiled, black glass english bottle. It has a beer or an ale look to it and the base looks to be a full inch thick. Its very heavy for its size and its crudeness made me think it was pontiled until I turned it over. It has an embossed base "C & S o". The small "o" I believe to split up the letters and there is a small nipple in the middle of all 4 of the letters. The base is also a bit of a kick up. The whole bottle looks very whittled. I almost orgot both lips have a little bit of slop under the lip from excess glass. The second bottle is even darker but more of an olive amber. It has a higher kick up base with a nipple. The base isn't even on either bottle. The wobble a little when they are both set down. The second bottle is close to being considered a lady's leg and the second part of the lip or the lower part of the lip is flared out farther then the top part of the lip. The bottom part of the lip has a small chip about the size of the end of a pencil eraser out of it. It has the same seam as the first bottle and both bottles have a strong wave almost completely around the bottle. Can anyone give me more info on these? They are both the size of an average beer bottle. What would the C&S stand for? Any info on the history and value would be appreciated. Thanx, Jason

Andyf

Reaction score
Hi Swizzle

C & S is probably the maker of the bottle itself. My guess would be Cannington Shaw from St.Helens in England. they were prolific makers, and their name is often see on mineral water bottles written out in full.

This MAY not be the case, as they were usually known as "Cannington, Shaw & Co." rather than "Cannington AND Shaw & Co.", as implied by your bottle.

I have a similar looking bottle, but I'll have to check the base for embossing...

Andyf

capsoda

Reaction score
I agree with Andy, it probably is Cannington, Shaw & Co. since that is the only company name even close to those initials. Could be an engraving error.

Andyf

Reaction score
I've had a look at one or two of my bottles.

I have one marked " C.S & Co. Ltd."

I think this is Cannington Shaw. The "Limited" would indicate a later date. I don't know when "Limited" companies started....

swizzle

Reaction score
Here's one I found on ebay that looks identical to mine in many ways.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-19th-Century-Black-Glass-Bottle-w-Kick-up-PONTIL_W0QQitemZ6260758908QQcategoryZ13909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The 1st bottle looks identical to this one except it has a shallower kickup base with the "C & S o" that I described before. The second bottle has the same crude deep kick up but the lower part of the lip flares out more. I can't find anything in the line of examples of Cannington and Shaw or Cannington Shaw bottles at all. I'm hoping to get a positive ID. I might have to take these to the ballston spa bottle show in june. Thanx for all your research guys. Jason

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday