BLACK FRIDAY DIG

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deenodean

Reaction score
Well call it Black Friday, Good Friday, Friday the 13th, TGIF or just FRIDAY, Friday or any day is a GOOD day 4 DIGGIN. Here in Canada for the 1st time retailers copied our good neighbors south of the 49th and put on some super Black Friday sales. I said ' forget that' , I am not going shopping, I am going scouting for bottles. I got permission from a long time buddy of mine to scout his ancestors property, they settled there circa 1870. ( that is old for this area. ) ...Anyways, it is a 2 hour drive from here, I could not get anyone to go so I went solo. It is off the beaten path but not to far from civilization. I was at this site about 25 years ago fishing for trout but could not remember anything about the area. By buddy drew me a map. Good thing, I would never have found it. I found 4 dumps, all from the 1940's and up...I usually don't dig them but you never know what u will find. I did find some amethyst stuff and there is much evidence that the place is old..unfortunately I didn't find the oldest dump but there is soooo much else there to explore. I will go back with a partner and do more looking. Here are a few pics that I took...

The house is not livable..lol..

100_7506_zpsc4dc7652.jpg

I found the well, looks like it was once enclosed and someone put a mattress over it..it is DEEP
100_7513_zpse7c74a8a.jpg

Found a 4 point deer horn..I love deer meat but I am not a hunter..It is deer hunting season here now so I did have my deer hunter orange apparel on!!
100_7509_zps4cc05c9a.jpg

The area around the house was surrounded by that curse-it Japanese Knot Weed, it resembles bamboo but it is hard to navigate thru.

100_7507_zps36f26726.jpg

I found the wire fence line, a spruce tree grew right thru it...
100_7505_zps95e7dfc6.jpg

The 1st dump I found, all stuff from the 1950ies and up..I decided to scratch around, all cans and stupid useless bottles appearing but then this !! Well I better post it before I am timed out...
100_7496_zps8ea55f51.jpg

LC

Reaction score
Now that is what you call a house in disrepair .

deenodean

Reaction score
Story of my life, it was broken on the top and a 2" hole out of the back, I took it home anyway..I looked for the broken pieces with a fine tooth comb but couldn't find them..it was probably broken before it was tossed. Does anyone know if and where here in Canada it could be repaired?? It looks like it is 2 gallons, no markings on it as to where it was made, just that blue flower design. If one of the sites professional spotters can identify it they can reply!

100_7498_zps5e5d2fff.jpg

I take all the blue glass, Noxzema and others, I trade it for bottles. Some people here smash it, throw it in the ocean and collect it as beach glass and use it for Art..perhaps Sick Rick can sling shot all his beloved Bromo's up here so I trade them...[:D]
100_7499_zpsb0e20ef6.jpg

On the 2nd dump I found there was a pail leaning against a tree..I looked in and saw BOTTLES BOTTLES.. I looked in and saw embossed bottles and wines. My heart was a poundin'..but nothing good in there, some 50ies Cokes. I did find more evidence of older stuff, an amethyst shard of a N.S. Glass water picture. Also there was a broken white insulator, I put it all back for the next generation of diggers..
100_7500_zpsca0f275c.jpg

Shards in the pail..
100_7501_zpsea3b9542.jpg

An animal head for the ' Sick Rick' Collection...[:D]
100_7502_zpsa31fb0b9.jpg

The 3rd dump, looks like all the bottles were put there by someone who did not want them to break..I found a few local stuff but not old..they are now soaking and will post them later..
100_7503_zps368101d1.jpg

Dump # 4 was the same. I did not take any pics of that one. Slim pickin's for the day. I found a 1964 Ontario license plate, I know a guy who collects those. I always take a machete for fear of coyotes. 2 years ago a 19 year woman from Toronto was hiking alone in a National Park not to far from here was attacked, mauled and killed by 2 coyotes. Since then there have been other reports of coyote attacks. I NEVER TRUST a coyote, I and others have seen them, they are afraid of nothing..it is best to be on the safe side with the machete or another weapon. I did not see any sign of them but you never know..I'll be going back to that site, hopefully we'll find the mother lode! [:)] .. Thanks for looking!

100_7514_zps852a6714.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Cool adventure,...The jug's well worth keeping. Hope you can get it repaired somehow...I don't blame you for carrying the machete...Good idea actually. Nearby here, a coyote was spotted near a hiking trail pull off, acting odd, running circles, etc...Later that day the thing lunged at a woman hiking, bit her badly then took off into the bush...! They gave her the rabies treatment...I haven't heard any more news about it.

192C673362C34FCCB5719CD9183D868F.jpg

Attachments

• 192C673362C34FCCB5719CD9183D868F.jpg
    192C673362C34FCCB5719CD9183D868F.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 78

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I have seen 3 coyote while hunting deer, 2 of them I shot and had mounted. Couldn't get a shot at one. They have an increased rodent like presence in most areas as of late. They too, like black bear and bobcat prey on newborn white tail fawns. Shoot em!

Joe, your pic almost looks like a wolf!

PD

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

I have seen 3 coyote while hunting deer, 2 of them I shot and had mounted. Couldn't get a shot at one. They have an increased rodent like presence in most areas as of late. They too, like black bear and bobcat prey on newborn white tail fawns. Shoot em!

Joe, your pic almost looks like a wolf!

PD

I hate to brake the news to you hunter Tom but they have been doing that since the beginning of time,or when ever the first coyote graced the lands. There is no way that the coyote will put a dent in the deer population by killing fawns. Lets be real ,people shoot them because they like to kill. I have hunted since I was 16 and never shot anything I couldn't eat. Let um roam.

5B47589DA505487BB0224945682DB434.jpg

Attachments

• 5B47589DA505487BB0224945682DB434.jpg
    5B47589DA505487BB0224945682DB434.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 71

Bottleman

Reaction score
My biggest issue with coyotes is their affect on the red fox population. Being an ex trapper, I can tell you high coyote population in an area equals low red fox populations. The coyote's will simply kill the fox over territorial issues.

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I disagree with you Rickster. 15 to 20 years ago, a coyote sighting was very rare around here. Now when in the woods, it is rare not to at least see coyote tracks. When they begin to roam in more populated areas, small dogs and cats start to mysteriously disappear. It doesn't help that the PA Game Commission has imported some of them from states like Wyoming. I posted about this a few years back on here. A local hunter here shot a coyote with a Wyoming tag in the ear. Did it hop a freight train or hitch hike? Certainly didn't migrate that far. An increased coyote population coupled with increased bobcat and bear, is detrimental to the white tail deer population. Less deer means less hunters in rural areas like ours. Hotels are no longer full during deer season. Local restaurants and other businesses suffer the revenue loss. I still say shoot the rodents!

How many did Dugout have removed from her ranch this year? 73?

PD

Dugout

Reaction score
I see Penn Digger you have been conversing with the hub. 73 coyotes in the first 3 weeks he has trapped. And coyotes kill and eat the sheep. And the other morning while feeding the lambs I heard one bunch of coyotes down the creek to the west and a few minutes later another bunch yapping to the south. Our trapper has got his work cut out for him. We also have a state plane that flies over hunting them too. They are way too thick here. I am so glad I have my donkey, as he definately helps keep the coyotes away from the sheep herd.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583