blackglass penfolds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kendolbottles1black

Reaction score
[:)]hi i am new on the scene i have been collecting for 30 years i have 2 blackglass penfolds wine bottles 1 large 1small both ringseal both very crude in make but in mint shiney condition does any one know the worth of these two thanks ken[:D]

Carmo

Reaction score
Penfolds is a winery in Australia, they make the famous Grange Hermitage which retails at about $350 AU.
Carmo

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi Ken,
I could not remember ever having seen an old penfolds bottle before, but someone I know dug a heap of them not long ago and didn't seem to think a lot of them. He only had one that you could call black though (dark amber black) and they mostly had wrap tops. Can you post a photo of your ones here ?

IRISH

Reaction score
Ahh, I should try to get a bit more sleep before posting sometimes [8|] sorry about that [:D] .
I have not seen penfolds bottles like that nor any that look that old, will try to get more info for you.

kendolbottles1black

Reaction score
IRISH thanks mate for the reply they came out of a logers camp site ca.1880s they where the only two. there where lots of newer ones there with wrap tops. thanks again ken[:)]

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Hi I have two questions for right now at least, I know Kerr Fruit Jars are not keeper's but I had never seen one with a date on it before so I picked it up. When I got home I checked my book and it dated Aug 1st 1915 where my bottle has Aug31st 1915. Never found this book to be very good, but could someone check.(Clear glass).
Also we have a guy around here who people say fixes glass, they call him the glass man. I can never find him and he goes to a lot of shows. I have a Amberina cruet
beleive form New England Glass, well it books for around $500.00. The only problem is beside the laid on handle there is a small crack. Well being so close to handle I am going to guess it was broken when handle applied as if it fell the handle would have protected that area. I have no knowlege that a crack 1/2" could be fixed. So I bend to your expertese. Thanks and will have more questions down the road.

IRISH

Reaction score
Some cracks can be "fixed" by filling them with a mix of chemicals the compostion of which is often regarded as a great secret by the bloke doing the job [:D] . I can't help you with names in the us but if you can't get on to anybody go to a hobby shop and they may be able to sell you UV setting glass adhesives, this glass "glue"will thin down in Actone and get into the cracks then when the solvent drys off and the stuff cures the job's done (sometimes [;)] ).

If you do this test it on rubbish bottles first and experiment a lot before you do a good one, Also don't inhale solvent fumes [;)] .
Good luck.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter