Blessed and lucky! Find of a century? For me... it was.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnB

Reaction score
In 1981, I was a poor college student working his way through college. While I had served in the Air Force, the GI Bill, all of $324 a month, wasn't enough to make ends meet.

I co-opted for a utility plant in south Georgia. One day, while exploring an old house being torn down outside of Baxley, I found a Coco Cola bottle. All I knew that it was old and within a year, I had shown it to an antiques guy who said because the "Coco" was misspelled, it wasn't worth much.

I kept that old bottle anyway - it moved with me from location to location and even survived a flood in Roanoke VA! I always kept it in my little safe where it remained until 1997 when my wife & I divorced. It remained with the ex.

Last week, my daughter brought it to me with some other items from the safe. I did a little research and found that it might actually have a bit of value. Don't believe me? Check this thread on this site: https://www.antique-bottles.net/showthread.php?449751-Coco-Cola-Bottle

I've found one other one that sold a few years ago for just over $2800. What will it sell for? I have no idea but we'll be thankful for anything. I've had it for almost 35 years...kind of.... but I hope someone will buy it and enjoy it for another lifetime or two.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow, over 800 for a repaired example, that's a fantastic find!

2find4me

Reaction score
Sounds like a good one, could we see a picture of it? I guess yours would be a hutchinson.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Good luck John, remember to share with your daughter.
I see your competition is that same glued top example?

JohnB

Reaction score
Good luck John, remember to share with your daughter.
I see your competition is that same glued top example?

You bet I will. I'm not sure about competition - mine doesn't appear to have sustained any damage. I found that one when researching mine.

Here's my ebay link. I attempted to clean it up a bit but frankly, I'm worried that I may drop it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291652335364?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Here's a picture - more in the auction:

That reminds me - in the early 70's, we dug several boxes of bottles from the old dump behind my grandparent's motor court. This was US 1 just outside of Lexington. I've got a guy who has offered lots of advice with this bottle. I think I'll answer karma and ask my sister to ship him some of those finds. When my parents died, I made certain that she kept those in her basement. These are mostly 40's and 50's bottles and this guy is quite the collector. He'll appreciate them.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 124

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Some like a tumbling, some don't. That looks like a quick spin might have been good abut it's good to let the buyer decide. JMO

JohnB

Reaction score
Some like a tumbling, some don't. That looks like a quick spin might have been good abut it's good to let the buyer decide. JMO

Agreed - I've offered enough pictures to help show it's condition. Hopefully, that'll help someone with the buying process. My wife's job was eliminated in Sept - while we're doing ok, it'll be a small boost for the household budget! If not for that, I might simply keep it and send it off for a cleaning.

JohnB

Reaction score
Thank you. I was darn lucky to find it and have it returned to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen