Blob I bet you never saw before

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlediger

Reaction score
First off let me say blobs are not my thing but this is one unique blob. I bought this one over 10 years ago for my mom's home town collection that I started for her many years ago. Blossburg is a very small mine town in north Pa and has very few embossed bottles, I have only found 2 bottlers and one local doc with a few pat meds, there easily could be others as it was founded in the 1870s but I have yet to see any. So if any of you come across bottles from blossburg Pa, let me know

Now this is one pretty cool blob beer as it has 8 sides! There are very few 8 sided blob beer bottles, I can only think of a few from Philly and I believe one from Tx.

Digger Ry

2632479028CF4C27B4048B10B516A39A.jpg

Attachments

• 2632479028CF4C27B4048B10B516A39A.jpg
    2632479028CF4C27B4048B10B516A39A.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 59

bottlediger

Reaction score
close up

Digger ry

01A20FBDB3FD4A24B7FFDA668D0C2F48.jpg

Attachments

• 01A20FBDB3FD4A24B7FFDA668D0C2F48.jpg
    01A20FBDB3FD4A24B7FFDA668D0C2F48.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 62

mr2real

Reaction score
Are you sure this is a beer bottle? After reading this passage, I think oil is more likely.
Copied and Pasted from this website...
http://www.joycetice.com/clippings/tcobt118.htm

" NEW DARTT GARAGE FULLY COMPLETED Dartt Carriage and Auto Co., in their Up-to Date New Building---Historical Sketch The new and up-to-date garage of the Dartt Carriage & Auto Company was opened for business last week, there remaining but a few finishing touches to make the new structure complete in form and equipment. During the process of building the company has put forth every effort to take care of their large business and with a minimum of inconvenience to its patrons. With the present structure the needs of the automobile public can be taken care of expeditiously and, we are sure, satisfactorily to all concerned. Situate on East avenue near the intersection of Main the new structure is directly on the route of tourists on the end of the Susquehanna Trail and, with the building of the great East-West Highway the location will become even more advantageous. And the resulting increase in business thus secured will, we have no doubt, entirely justify the confidence which this enterprising concern has shown by adding to Wellsboro's busi- ness houses a garage and sales room that is equal to any in Northern Pennsylvania and southern New York, where the value of business amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars annually. The new building, which was started in October 1922, under plans drawn by Harry Haskell, architect, of Elmira, is constructed of Wellsboro shale brick, reinforced with steel, the first building on any size to be put up from material furnished by the local plant. It has a frontage of 82 feet on East avenue an extends back a distance of 121 feet. The structure is a full two stories in front and for 40 feet of its depth, the remaining 80 feet in depth being so arranged that the second floor can be added at any time with a minimum of trouble and expense. The company also has a lot in the rear of the building, on which a large addition could be erected, should such a course be deemed advisable in the interest of the great volume of business handled by this institution. The front of the building, both first and second floors, contains show windows 12x26 in size, and this with the multitude of smaller windows along either side insures perfect light in every part of the building. Electric lights, 4 in number, with ornate fixtures, hang over the coping on the second story which illuminate the front of the building at night with a perfect blaze of light. Close to the curb line are located two gasoline pumps of latest design, also an air and water tower. There are two entrances on the front of the building and one on the East side which affords an easy mode of ingress and exit and avoids any delay
by reason of the congestion which often occurs when there is but a one way entrance and means of exit. The main floor, first story, provides sufficient space for about 75 cars and in the shoe room proper space is available for perhaps a dozen more. Two wash racks in the storage room far large enough to accommodate sev- eral cars in process of cleaning. The service and main work shop is in the rear of the building and, in equipment appointment and scheme of arrangement is entirely adequate to take care of The company's business and in complete harmony with the other departments of this great industry. On the second floor the company, mindful of the comfort of its tourist patrons especially, has provided commodious rest rooms where every con- venience incident to comfort and rest will be found. This generous and
thoughtfulness on the part of the Dartt Carriage & Auto Company will, we are sure, be thoroughly appreciated by its patrons. On this floor is also located a battery room and general assembly room, cars being hoisted to this space by a movable steel ramp, the use of which insures much saving of time and energy. With the removal into the new building completed, the present office and sales rooms on the southeast side of the avenue will be taken over by the used car department and for additional storage room. The Dartt Carriage & Auto Company is to be congratulated upon the new structure and the people of Wellsboro are to be congratulated upon this most desirable acquisition to the business activities of the community. Historical Sketch A short historical sketch of the transitory stages which have gone to make up this vast enterprise may be of some interest to our readers, and especially to those whose recollections extend back to the time when Hiram Dartt conducted a wagon shop on Main street, in a building that stood on the present site of Erwin Hawk's residence. Hiram W. Dartt, born in Dartt's Settlement, October 27th, 1825, came to Wellsboro at the age of 18 and became an apprentice to S. B. Kendall, to
learn the trade of Wagon making. A few months later purchased ab inter- est in the business, which was shortly afterward established at the site above mentioned. It was in this shop that Mr. Dartt trained his own boys, and others of the neighborhood, in the art that gave to the Dartt made wagon a most enviable reputation throughout a vast territory. Here the business was conducted under the leadership of Mr. Dartt until 1884 when he disposed of his interest to his son Albert P., who conducted it in the original building until 1889. At this time the demand for the Dartt product had reached such proportions that the old red carriage shop and its equip- ment was found entirely inadequate to handle the large volume of busi- ness secured strictly on the merits of the output of the Dartt wagons and sleighs. Accordingly in 1889 Albert P. Dartt and his brother Edgar S. Dartt re- moved to East avenue where they purchased the wagon and repair shop of Wiseheart & Keifer and established the Dartt Carriage Co. At that time the buildings in connection with the business consisted only of the structure on the corner of Pearl street and East avenue, the large wood working shop, blacksmith and painting shop on the opposite side of East avenue being added by the new company. Here the Dartt Carriage Company continued to grow until its production of wagons and sleighs, besides the large repair business enjoyed, reached a volume that would have been a source of great satisfaction to its original founder and would have only added to the confidence he reposed in the mechanical ability and business acumen of his boys. Hiram Dartt lived to 89 years of age, spending his declining years working about his home and garden, frequently called upon by his neighbors and friends to repair some prized article of furniture, which he did purely as a matter of accommodation, for, financially he was entirely without anxiety. He zealously watched the growth of the business he had established and never for a moment lost interest in it. At this time, before automobiles came into general use, it was no uncommon sight to see one of the proprietors of this great concern of an employee, starting out, By team, to deliver a line of glittering buggies and surreys to points many miles distant. However, with the march of progress, and even when the owners of automobiles were the exception rather than the rule, the Dartt boys, in the exercise of that sound business discretion that has always obtained in their activities, recognized that the automobile was destined to be the universal means of travel, and with that view in mind, they secured the agency for the Ford car in 1912. The Ford sold at that time for $1000 and it took finished salesmanship to secure a prospect, hold his interest, and finally close the deal. As time went on and the sale of automobiles increased the Dartts added to their equipment and their force of experts until they had built up a vast business in Ford cars and accessories. Edgar S. Dartt died in 1911 and shortly after this R. R. Dartt, of Blossburg was taken into the business. Prior to this time Mr. Dartt had been engaged in other business pursuits in all of which he had been signally successful. The present corporation, Dartt Carriage & Auto Company was formed in January 1917. At that time the two Derbyshire boys, George and Frank, who had been employed in the garage, both expert mechanics, were taken in as partners, the incorporators, in addition to the Derbyshire boys being A. P. Dartt, and R. R. Dartt. Upon the death of R. R. Dart in 1919 his interest in the business was purchased by Arthur H. Dartt. Albert P. Dartt the senior member of the corporation, has for years been one of Wellsboro's foremost citizens, his rare business abilities making his presence on the borough council, where he served for years, a valuable asset to the community. He was Burgess for several years and President of the council for five years. His interest in farm lands led him to purchase and put into productive state many neglected farms hereabouts, thus adding not a little to the general tendency toward high grade agriculture in this vicinity. In addition he has been an active director of the First National Bank for five years. His friends are legion and he enjoys the esteem of a large acquaintanceship throughout an extensive area. Arthur H. Dartt brought to the enterprise a varied business experience which made him an exceedingly valuable acquisition to the personnel of the corporation. He had served eight years as Commissioners' Clerk and a full term as County Treasurer both of which positions he filled most satisfactory. Following his term as treasurer he assumed the management of the Bache Auditorium and conducted that enterprise until 1917 when he sold the business to O. B. Roberts & Sons and became associated in the Dartt corporation. In the course of time the business had so expanded that additional room and equipment became desirable and the new building above described was decided upon and pushed to rapid completion. At present this corporation handles the Ford, Lincoln, Paige, and Jewett cars and the Forson tractor. Their employees number about 20, all of whom are carefully selected and assigned to that department or occupation for which they are best fitted. This discrimination on the part of the employers insures to patrons of each phase of the business the very best of service. The Derbyshire boys have supervision of the garage proper and by their direction and under their skilled hands a completed job means the very
height of mechanical ability painstakingly applied. Of the boys, aside from his own, who learned a trade from Hiram Dartt in the old shop, Rudolph Etner, expert iron worker, has remained in the business throughout the years and has been ab interested party to its growth. Another of the present employees who has been associated with the Dartt boys for many years is E. W. Keifer, carriage and automobile trimmer. He was already in business on East avenue when the Dartt Carriage Company removed to that site and disposing of his interest to them, he has always remained in their employ until at the present time he has to his credit a record of 48 years of activity in the building in which he is still engaged in the prosecution of his trade. And so, from the modest beginning of Hiram Dartt in the old red building on West avenue there has developed, as a result of the mechanical ability and the second business principles inherent in his boys, an industry that is alike a credit to his memory and an important asset in the business life of our community. This was transcribed from "The Wellsboro Gazette" for the week of May 23, 1923, contained on microfilm at the Green Free Library in Wellsboro, Pa.

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Ry, That may be true when it comes to eight sides but there is a ten sided one from Baltimore (Berger) and the crown top ten sided one is even more rare then the blob.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Edgar S. Dartt died in 1911 and shortly after this R. R. Dartt, of Blossburg was taken into the business. Prior to this time Mr. Dartt had been engaged in other business pursuits in all of which he had been signally successful.

It looks to me like beverage bottling was one of the other business pursuits R.R. had been engaged in..

..gorgeous blob!!!!

bottlediger

Reaction score
Edgar S. Dartt died in 1911 and shortly after this R. R. Dartt, of Blossburg was taken into the business. Prior to this time Mr. Dartt had been engaged in other business pursuits in all of which he had been signally successful.

wow thats a lot to read but after quickly skimin over it, read this passage i pulled. This aint no oil bottle but a good ol american beer bottle. Also have a few RR dart Hutch soda bottles in the mom's collection, so he was either a bottler or a brewer/bottler

Digger ry

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Ry.. not to make a big deal out of it, but I was alluding to the fact that I'd just posted the same thing before you did.. I wasn't talking about your being hidden from view.. which doesn't bother me one iota either.. you sneak! [;)]

bottlediger

Reaction score
haha thats so funny, I didnt even see your post there! Exact same quote good eye my friend good eye

Digger ry

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal