Blob top "Bordencity" NY?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hallbottle

Reaction score
Picked this aqua blob top at the flea market today. Inside slug plate embossed with F.D ALFORD BORDENCITY N.Y. I'm from New York state and I've never heard of Bordencity nor could I find any reference on google or bing searches. I think it may be NYC or Long Island area but I'm not sure. Anybody know?

509BE292D4E9456983703B1669C9DABF.jpg

Attachments

• 509BE292D4E9456983703B1669C9DABF.jpg
    509BE292D4E9456983703B1669C9DABF.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 72

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Well, I can say it is not from Long Island.
It could be from a town which has changed its name in the distant past, for example here on Long Island there are bottles from Fair Ground, L.I. This is known today as Huntington Station. The name changed about WWI.
It could also be from a neighborhood which over the years has "lost" its identity. For example there are bottles from Union Course, L.I. This was in Brooklyn, the area surrounding the Union Course race track, only about 2 blocks by 2 blocks in area, when the horse track closed, the name quickly vanished into history.

Hallbottle

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I understand about town changing names. I have bottles from Suspension Bridge NY which is defunct now and part of the City of Niagara Falls, also the Village of Farmer Market or Farmer, NY which is Interlaken today. In the case of those two you can find history through web searches. I think you may be right that it was likely a section of a larger city that has lost its identify over the years. The only thing I've been able to find remotely close is a 1880's newspaper article from a Plattsburgh NY paper which mentions a fire at the Bordencity Mill No. 1

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
I love a good bottle mystery. This issue here is that the town is misspelled! It should be Border City not Borden City.

This diectory listing nails it!

1894 Seneca Directory

Border City, on Seneca Lake, and on the line of Geneva is a new aspirant for the location of manufacturing and other interest. The town is crossed by the
New York Central, the Lehigh Valley and the Geneva and Lyons railroads.

1894 Alford Forest D., p o Border City, b 1861 in St Lawrence Co. saloon and traveling salesman for Border City Mfg. Co., bds with Harvey Butts, Main

epackage

Reaction score
Quality research as always Tod, well done.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter