P. KEARNS, Shamokin PA squat found and need a bit of help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
I went to pick up some small items from an auction house today and they had a wicker covered squat bottle for sale. The wicker was in horrid shape so I removed it once I got home. It’s a nice blue/aqua squat or pony (beer I presume) blob top bottle embossed with:
P. KEARNS // PA // SHAMOKIN all in a slug plate. The only reference I can find is in the sodas and beers.com website which no longer seems to be valid. I even searched the towns cemetery records to no avail! It also has the look of a sand pontil on the base but it is fairly smooth to the touch so I'm assuming it is just mold induced roughness. If anybody has any insight on this bottle it sure would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Nice, good looking bottle, can't beat the condition, round slug plate embossing suggests post 1880 but shape is more typical of pre 1880. I suspect early 1880s. Date is irrelevant when finding such a good looking bottle in great condition. A good find for any collection.

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Nice, good looking bottle, can't beat the condition, round slug plate embossing suggests post 1880 but shape is more typical of pre 1880. I suspect early 1880s. Date is irrelevant when finding such a good looking bottle in great condition. A good find for any collection.
Thanks. I have on eBay now to pay for some others I purchased!

timeandabottle

Reaction score
That's a good looking bottle! I had one of them a number of years ago-looking at my photos it was definitely the same slug plate but it wasn't nearly as crude and I think it had a tooled lip while yours looks like it has an applied lip. Being slug-plated, I suspect it is early 1880's. I know there is at least one version of hutch soda from this fellow as well. Patrick Kearns ran a hotel in Shamokin for a number of years and I suspect had a soda stand in the hotel.
I heard from a fella in Shamokin today who saw my listing on eBay. He told me that there is an amber Hutchinson with P. Kearns on it as well. Interesting info to get. Thanks again for your input.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen