Blob-top bottle partial-label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out whatever I can about this bottle from NYC area. Very little of the label remains,
IMG_7052.jpeg

IMG_7056.jpeg
IMG_7050.jpeg
I can make out the letters ER, which may be from the word "water", and beneath that the letters "bl", which could be from "table". If anyone knows anything about labels, or can provide me with a good resource for research, I would be very grateful!

P.S. i found this along with other mineral water bottles including Several types of Carl Schultz, Clicquot Club, and a porcelain Karl Hutter "Briarcliff Table Water" stopper (too big for this bottle).

I do think it bears a good resemblance to this illustration of a Carl Schulz ginger-ale bottle.
IMG_7081.png

Thanks for any and all input,
Hank

Last edited:

Frogmountain

Reaction score
Very cool bottle and you're lucky there's still a paper label on it. These bottles had highly pressurized liquids in them, like seltzer, and were meant to be stored on their sides - hence the rounded bottoms. I found a similar one in an 1880s pit.
20231103_164317.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
These round-bottom bottles were traditionally used for ginger ale, although it's hard to be absolutely certain that's what yours contained. With so little of the label remaining it's very hard to say what company it was used by, you'd have to find an exact match for the label and there aren't many remaining from that far back. These tended to be imported from the UK but they were used by domestic bottlers as well, I think most often when they were trying to imitate more prestigious imported products.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Very cool bottle and you're lucky there's still a paper label on it. These bottles had highly pressurized liquids in them, like seltzer, and were meant to be stored on their sides - hence the rounded bottoms. I found a similar one in an 1880s pit.View attachment 252229
Interesting find. I haven't seen one of these with that type of top! Wonder what type of closure was used? Looks like just a cork, so that probably outdates my bottles by a good while (I think mine are from the turn of the century ca. 1890-1915)

There were some quite similar bottles in this location. As I said, so far (snow and flooding have stopped all digging for now) I have found two of those Carl Schultz Central Park Mineral Water ten-pins which appear to the right of the ginger-ale in that advertisement. And some probably unidentifiable, but similar soda/mineral water/ginger ale bottles.

Here is the group of what may be 4 different ages and styles of Carl Schultz products (all but the partial label blob-top one have applied crown tops— and the heart-breaker carl schultz ten-pin has none ;)
IMG_7095.jpeg

The one on the far right labelled Schultz N.Y. Has "661 / A" embossed on the base. And the one to the far left has an underlined N on the base.
IMG_7093.jpeg

This last one looks similar to yours except for the top.
IMG_7095.jpeg

BrentC

Reaction score
Could it be the same as this one? Mine is a crown top though.

Attachments

• 20200919_134239.jpg
    20200919_134239.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 53

hemihampton

Reaction score
His label appeared to be Diamond shaped, or was at one time, kinda like the old Coca Cola labels. Leon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That acid-etched Schultz bottle is great! Looks like it was made in the UK, which is very unusual for a US soda bottle (acid-etched crown tops from the US aren't too common either). Decent chance that they got the bottle second-hand and then did the etching on it. Those were made for export and presumably weren't expected to be returned, so I imagine it would have been possible to get a bunch of them cheap in New York from the high-end restaurants that would have served imported ginger ale.

By the way, I don't think your label matches the Schultz label depicted. I found one which is higher-resolution and the wording doesn't match. Those diamond labels were extremely common for soda bottles in those days, I believe most US bottlers would have used them.
1705700000299.png

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out whatever I can about this bottle from NYC area. Very little of the label remains,
View attachment 252223
View attachment 252224View attachment 252225
I can make out the letters ER, which may be from the word "water", and beneath that the letters "bl", which could be from "table". If anyone knows anything about labels, or can provide me with a good resource for research, I would be very grateful!

P.S. i found this along with other mineral water bottles including Several types of Carl Schultz, Clicquot Club, and a porcelain Karl Hutter "Briarcliff Table Water" stopper (too big for this bottle).

I do think it bears a good resemblance to this illustration of a Carl Schulz ginger-ale bottle.
View attachment 252226

Thanks for any and all input,
Hank
Hello all, Ginger ale Collector here. I was intrigued by Hladnopivo’s (Hank) partial label on a round bottom bottle. Somehow the traces of the label were familiar to me. So, with a little detective work and browsing my collection of round bottom ginger ales, we might have a pretty good identification.

Photo 1 is self-explanatory, highlighting two elements on the label “ER” and “BL”. Photo 2 is Hank’s partial label enlarged. The same elements are highlighted. The “L” is a little faint, but let’s say it is there. To my eye, the positioning of the highlighted letters appears to be the same on both photos, that is, their alignment is the same. Also, the type style appears to be the same, and the 1901 date would correspond to other items Hank mentioned. Lastly, Hank's label appears to blue.

So—what do you think, do we have a match? Working with what little we have from the partial label, this maybe as close and we can get.

Canadian Bottles’ comment (#3 in the thread), is spot on. If anyone is interested in finding more about round bottom bottles (and the origins of ginger ale) and subscribe the Antique Glass & Bottles magazine, take a look at the cover story from the May/June 2022 issue. I happen to know the author.;)

Ken P.
Photo 1 Schuyler Label.ga.marked up.jpeg
Photo 2 Hank's partial label enlarged.ga.png

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hello all, Ginger ale Collector here. I was intrigued by Hladnopivo’s (Hank) partial label on a round bottom bottle. Somehow the traces of the label were familiar to me. So, with a little detective work and browsing my collection of round bottom ginger ales, we might have a pretty good identification.

Photo 1 is self-explanatory, highlighting two elements on the label “ER” and “BL”. Photo 2 is Hank’s partial label enlarged. The same elements are highlighted. The “L” is a little faint, but let’s say it is there. To my eye, the positioning of the highlighted letters appears to be the same on both photos, that is, their alignment is the same. Also, the type style appears to be the same, and the 1901 date would correspond to other items Hank mentioned. Lastly, Hank's label appears to blue.

So—what do you think, do we have a match? Working with what little we have from the partial label, this maybe as close and we can get.

Canadian Bottles’ comment (#3 in the thread), is spot on. If anyone is interested in finding more about round bottom bottles (and the origins of ginger ale) and subscribe the Antique Glass & Bottles magazine, take a look at the cover story from the May/June 2022 issue. I happen to know the author.;)

Ken P.View attachment 252291View attachment 252292
That's incredible, it's a perfect match! I was never expecting an answer would be found for this one - it's amazing to me that there are any intact examples of the label still existing at all. Great job!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen