Blob-top bottle partial-label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks right to me, I kinda figured somebody would find the right looking label sooner or later. Nice detective work. LEON.

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
Hello all, Ginger ale Collector here. I was intrigued by Hladnopivo’s (Hank) partial label on a round bottom bottle. Somehow the traces of the label were familiar to me. So, with a little detective work and browsing my collection of round bottom ginger ales, we might have a pretty good identification.

Photo 1 is self-explanatory, highlighting two elements on the label “ER” and “BL”. Photo 2 is Hank’s partial label enlarged. The same elements are highlighted. The “L” is a little faint, but let’s say it is there. To my eye, the positioning of the highlighted letters appears to be the same on both photos, that is, their alignment is the same. Also, the type style appears to be the same, and the 1901 date would correspond to other items Hank mentioned. Lastly, Hank's label appears to blue.

So—what do you think, do we have a match? Working with what little we have from the partial label, this maybe as close and we can get.

Canadian Bottles’ comment (#3 in the thread), is spot on. If anyone is interested in finding more about round bottom bottles (and the origins of ginger ale) and subscribe the Antique Glass & Bottles magazine, take a look at the cover story from the May/June 2022 issue. I happen to know the author.;)

Ken P.View attachment 252291View attachment 252292
Wow! Thanks so much! I would call that a positive identification. That's amazing that you could find that with so little to go on!
I hoped that some expert might be able to help, but that is just 100%

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks so much! I would call that a positive identification. That's amazing that you could find that with so little to go on!
I hoped that some expert might be able to help, but that is just 100%
Hi Hank, you're welcome. Thanks for posting the "puzzle." It was fun to do, and frankly, when I started on it, I doubted it would be possible to come up with anything at all. Determination and quite a bit of luck helps.

Ken P.

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
That's incredible, it's a perfect match! I was never expecting an answer would be found for this one - it's amazing to me that there are any intact examples of the label still existing at all. Great job!
Hi CanadianBottles, you are right, there are not many intact examples of labels on round bottom bottles. The labels either deteriorated or were washed off to reuse the bottle. When I get a chance, I will get some pics of the ones in my collection and post them. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Ken P.

Bach62

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out whatever I can about this bottle from NYC area. Very little of the label remains,
View attachment 252223
View attachment 252224View attachment 252225
I can make out the letters ER, which may be from the word "water", and beneath that the letters "bl", which could be from "table". If anyone knows anything about labels, or can provide me with a good resource for research, I would be very grateful!

P.S. i found this along with other mineral water bottles including Several types of Carl Schultz, Clicquot Club, and a porcelain Karl Hutter "Briarcliff Table Water" stopper (too big for this bottle).

I do think it bears a good resemblance to this illustration of a Carl Schulz ginger-ale bottle.
View attachment 252226

Thanks for any and all input,
Hank
These were common in Ireland. They held ginger ale and a large common manufacturer was Cantrell & Cochrane out of Belfast Ireland. The reason for the round bottom was to keep the cork moist when stored horizontally while traveling in ships. Other wise the cork would dry out and fall into the bottle.

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hi CanadianBottles, you are right, there are not many intact examples of labels on round bottom bottles. The labels either deteriorated or were washed off to reuse the bottle. When I get a chance, I will get some pics of the ones in my collection and post them. Thanks for your kind remarks.

Ken P.
Hi CanadianBottles, as promised you can see the round bottom paper labels here

Ken

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen