Blob Top w/inside screws - info please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VaChick

Reaction score
I'm curious about a bottle my father left me. it is embossed with:
Continental Brewing Co.
Trademark
Philadelphia

There's also a picture of a Revolutionary solder holding sword and a musket. In the background, there's a house and mountain.
The picture is between the Trademark and Philadelphia.
The bottle is aqua in color with a blob top (I think), with inside screws!
Anyway, if anyone can tell me anything about this bottle, I would appreciate it.

I've attached pics, but it's hard to see the internal screws and all the detail.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Tr49478.jpg
    Tr49478.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 62

VaChick

Reaction score
hopefully this will show the picture of the bottle I described.
Again, thanks for looking!

Ge96114.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ge96114.jpg
    Ge96114.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 65

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Vachick!
I'm no expert on American bottles but I can tell you the internal screw stopper was an extremely popular closure in turn of the century England. Looking at yours I'd say it dates from the same period.There are other forum members who can probably tell more of the bottler's history.

Hope this helps and good luck!

KAT

VaChick

Reaction score
Kat - thanks,
It's all so interesting. I'm supposed to go out of town, for vacation, and I've been putting it off because I'm getting hooked on researching the old bottles I got from my parents!

diginit

Reaction score
Nice bottle, Have you done a Google search? I've found quite a lot of info there,& thanks to the posts on this site.

APOTHEHUTCH

Reaction score
awesome bottle vachick. internal thread american beer bottles are rare,and this is the first one i heard of from philly-or anywhere in PA for that matter. i used to own a continental brewing philadelphia bottle with a typical blown in mold (ca.1900)crown top.this is obviously a little earlier 1870s-1880s? i know the internal thread beer bottle was patented in 1872 by an englishman.again, your bottle's really cool[;)]! treasure it!

VaChick

Reaction score
All, thanks for getting back to me.

This hobby is really fascinating -- to think simple glass can survive all these years. And what's even neater, is thinking of the folks that picked up that bottle. He, or she, actually lived through the Civil War! Could've been drinking the beer to forget about it even!

Diginit - Yes, and the Google search turned up nothing. I've also tried some of the other search engines and looked on ebay and still nothing. Is there any place that has information on old companies?

Apothehutch, Wow, I just thought it was a cool bottle, not rare. But, I'm curious, how much do you think the bottle is worth?? Actually, I can't imagine I could sell it, but it would be neat to know!

Again, thanks for getting back to me!

APOTHEHUTCH

Reaction score
vachick,unfortunatly rare aqua philly bottles (unless pontilled) even rare names-or in your case an unusual clousure are not bringing real big money.there just is not a big demand. im guessing the right brewery collector would pay around $20-$25 dollars for your bottle. if it had some color-or was from a smaller town, it would bring a bit more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson